Jiffy Lube, 21 Bronco

I guess taking a car to them for service is like playing Russian Roulette with three bullets in the gun.
I service a friend's (widow) gorgeous 2015 Jeep GC with the Turbo Diesel. She had it in at the dealer for a recall and they changed the oil.
I did the next service and the drain bolt had to be wrenched all the way out; this was never the case in the 5+ services I did. I thought it was crossed, but I wire brushed the threads and it reinstalled by fingers only.

So it ain't only Jiffy... Who knows?

I service a friend's (widow) gorgeous 2015 Jeep GC with the Turbo Diesel. She had it in at the dealer for a recall and they changed the oil.
I did the next service and the drain bolt had to be wrenched all the way out; this was never the case in the 5+ services I did. I thought it was crossed, but I wire brushed the threads and it reinstalled by fingers only.

You're right "it ain't only Jiffy."

These things can happen anywhere. Though I’ll admit they happen at a more frequent rate at quick lubes.

Recently my wife was in a wreck. Severe front end damage. Car was taken to a shop with a good local reputation. They left a lug nut off (or it came loose while driving) one of the wheels. Luckily nothing serious happened, but even a good shop can have a less than stellar situation.

Years ago someone brought over there car because they could not get the oil drain plug off, I have a lift at my house which is why he called me. The drain plug looked so bad that I had to hammer a smaller size socket on and after I got the drain plug off I had to get a screwdriver and hammer to get the drain plug off.

Back in the 80's my neighbor was changing the oil on his sisters car and could not get the oil drain plug off, he came over and borrowed some vice grips, and barely got the drain plug off.

Lesson learned is that you change your own oil.

Definitely not only quick lubes, but it makes me chuckle that someone who likely overpaid thousands for a new vehicle is saving $20 by going to Jiffy Lube.

Maybe the car owner bears some responsibility for driving with the oil light on. I would suggest that there's blame on both sides.

People discuss the lack of knowledge and skill on the part of repair shops and technicians, but maybe the lack of knowledge on the part of vehicle owners plays a part in some situations.

I'm leaning toward blaming this on air tool or electric wrenches at this point. There is NO WAY anybody with a little bit of concern can cross thread a drain plug. Now, if you just throw it in the hole and get the power wrench, all bets are off.

why does anyone take a new-ish still under warranty vehicle to Jiffy Lube?

The video explains (and is the same for the fleet where I am employed).

Our services for our fleet are put out to bid yearly. We are required to take our vehicles to the authorized servicer. Currently, that is Jiffy lube for routine oil and filter service. In the past we've also used Valvoline instant oil change. That's where our brand new units end up having to go...

The video explains (and is the same for the fleet where I am employed).

Our services for our fleet are put out to bid yearly. We are required to take our vehicles to the authorized servicer. Currently, that is Jiffy lube for routine oil and filter service. In the past we've also used Valvoline instant oil change. That's where our brand new units end up having to go...
Well that explains it now. Why Ford would trust an outside provider anywhere near a drainplug on a covered vehicle....... one stupid minute & there's explaining ($) to do. Had no idea that would be contracted out. I look under there when doing changes, torn CV boot(s), leaks from where ever, like the water pump weep hole. Handing it off to Jiffy L. seems short-sighted.

Back