Jeep darkens oil fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a couple vehicles, and for the most part the oil looks the same as it ages. I have a 94 Grand Cherokee 5.2 that just keeps going, so we run it. 210k. This engine however seems to darken the oil quickly. I have heard a few people talk about this, but is there more behind it than meets the eye? Ive tried MMO and PYB for a number of fills, but it still looks the same.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Either the oil is doing a lot of cleaning, or your air cleaner is letting dirt in.
or blow-by.

Its normal for many vehicles. My regals oil will stay spotless for well over 1500 miles then it starts darkening quickly.

If you wanna try cleaning Delo 400 or Rotella will work perfectly fine. In fact they are good oils for Jeeps tappet motors.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
or blow-by.

OK ... we can add blow-by to the list.
grin2.gif

i have a feeling this is multifactorial, temps, contamination, etc. one thing i noticed, new cars have clean oil in the first OCIs and then it goes dark quicker with age.

The type of pollutants the engine produces is a factor. The higher the particulate count, the quicker the oil darkens, this is why diesel engines can turn an oil black within minutes of driving. Also, having an EGR system increases the amount of soot that gets sucked back into the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back