Jatco RE4F03B fluid type

Servicing this high mileage unit soon.

Fluid is dark, no burnt smell. Napkin drop test still has a dark red tint.
Shudders at part throttle between 30-40 when ambient is above 40F

Current fill unknown, but probably some generic dex 3.
Jatco calls for Nissan Matic D.

I have three options and I am thoroughly confused which one to pick.

Valvoline Dex VI official licensed fluid
-premium synthetic base stock and advanced additives program targets include durability, anti shudder. cst of 6.0

Valvoline Maxlife
-synthetic fluid (no premium fwiw), program targets include seal conditioners, reduce varnish, anti shudder, extend hm unit life, cst of 5.9

Valvoline Import
-full synthetic fluid (no premium but full fwiw), program targets include reduce wear, reduce varnish, high flow properties, extended drain intervals, cst of 6.9

These pds are really something else.

If this is an old Versa - it likely specs Matic S. I would double check the owners manual.

If it does spec matic S, then that is what I would use - from the dealer or from Idemitsu, if your having issues.

If you must use aftermarket, I think of the above only Maxlife I think meets the Matic S spec - or claims to. Personally not a fan.

If this is an old Versa - it likely specs Matic S. I would double check the owners manual.

If it does spec matic S, then that is what I would use - from the dealer or from Idemitsu, if your having issues.

If you must use aftermarket, I think of the above only Maxlife I think meets the Matic S spec - or claims to. Personally not a fan.
Double checked the service manual, its matic D on this unit.

Double checked the service manual, its matic D on this unit.
Pretty much everything I can find about Matic D is that its some version of Dex3, but of course there is no real spec on that anywhere. I would use whatever you like that meets the matic D spec -

I will mention it because I am dealing with it for my transfer case - the current Maxlife is much lower viscosity than original Matic D / Dex 3.

So I would use the Import version of the valvoline above, but I am personally not likely to buy anything from Valvoline going forward. Their maxlife says it meets all these specs but its too thin for many IMHO. Their 75W-90 appears to be worst in class according to another thread. etc. /end rant.

All of those Valvoline ATFs will have superior post-shear viscosities to the OEM Matic D, nothing to worry about there.

The add-packs will likely perform superior in almost every aspect but they might feel different. I'd try the cheapest option and see how it goes.

All of those Valvoline ATFs will have superior post-shear viscosities to the OEM Matic D, nothing to worry about there.

The add-packs will likely perform superior in almost every aspect but they might feel different. I'd try the cheapest option and see how it goes.
Thanks all.

i am having analysis paralysis after some educated comments from @kschachn. He mentioned the only fluid licensed and thus has known anti shear characteristics is a dex vi fluid. Everything else is based on essentially trust on the blender. So while the import is synthetic and has a higher cst, who knows what it will end up in a couple miles. In addition, only the dex vi and maxlife seem to target anti shudder; the import has nothing in its pds.

Back