Japan taking over the motorcycle industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
What's with all the "marketing" [censored]? Who cares? The title of the thread is about Japan taking over the motorcycle industry...which is a benign concept. Japanese companies manufacture millions of bikes under 125cc and the majority of those are not motorcycles, they are scooters. Back to the title of the thread....HD, a US manufacturer makes and sells half of the worlds motorcycles over 600cc. It is what it is no mater how you feel about it. One US company, half the world supply and no one else comes close. Why do you think each of the Japanese big 4 continually make and market so many HD "knockoffs"? Last time I checked Honda was making no less than 12 different Harley "wanabe" models, yet they produce less than 70,000 total motorcycles over 500cc each year. How do you think that's working out for them and their dealers?

Regarding the engine design point, what major manufacturer can you name that isn't building using the basic "original" engine design of an air cooled piston engine? If you think HD has not changed their "basic engine design" in 100 years you need to take apart a pre 1920 HD single, a HD WWII flat twin, a Knuckle head, a panhead, a shovel head, a twin-cam, a rushmore, and a
V-Rod so you can see for yourself that you are spewing nonsense.

I didn't say the TYPE of engine design hasn't changed. I'm saying their designs are antiquated, and they are. If they weren't, they'd be liquid cooled and they wouldn't have to install band-aids like the rear cylinder shutdown circuit that keeps the rear cylinder from destroying itself from overheating, or they'd have gear driven engine parts instead on chain driven parts (and then they could get rid of the cheap plastic chain guides...FWIW, the V-Rod was designed by Porsche, not Harley. You also seem to be focused on sales numbers. As a consumer, who cares about sales numbers?

When did Harley install rear cylinder shutdown due to cylinder failure?

I didn't say the TYPE of engine design hasn't changed. I'm saying their designs are antiquated, and they are. If they weren't, they'd be liquid cooled and they wouldn't have to install band-aids like the rear cylinder shutdown circuit that keeps the rear cylinder from destroying itself from overheating, or they'd have gear driven engine parts instead on chain driven parts (and then they could get rid of the cheap plastic chain guides...FWIW, the V-Rod was designed by Porsche, not Harley. You also seem to be focused on sales numbers. As a consumer, who cares about sales numbers?

Your wrong, rear cylinder shutdown is an OPTION that can be easily turned off. Rear cylinder shut down is for rider comfort. It's simple to turn it off or leave it on whatever you want to do. Hot idle traffic at a stand still rear cylinder will cut off helping to keep the heat down on the rider, if you choose not to not have this option operational you simply turn it off by twisting the throttle forward for a given amount of time and its disabled unless you elect to activate it in the future.
To the best of my knowledge no other air cooled bike has this feature, Indian, victory, yamaha to name a few.

I leave the rear cylinder option off and the bike is no more hot then my vstar 1300 in traffic, the vstar 1300 would be brutal when stuck in traffic and that radiator fan would kick on and blow all the heat back on my wife and I. The Harley, the heat just goes whichever way the wind blows. I'm not for or against air cooled or water cooled, though it is kind of cool for the first time owning an air cooled bike that is one less thing to service.

Who cares about sales numbers? Not me, I ride what I like, but the sales numbers do reflect harley is giving the riders what they want and it's also kind of cool having the huge dealer network.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Your wrong, rear cylinder shutdown is an OPTION that can be easily turned off. Rear cylinder shut down is for rider comfort. It's simple to turn it off or leave it on whatever you want to do. Hot idle traffic at a stand still rear cylinder will cut off helping to keep the heat down on the rider, if you choose not to not have this option operational you simply turn it off by twisting the throttle forward for a given amount of time and its disabled unless you elect to activate it in the future.
To the best of my knowledge no other air cooled bike has this feature, Indian, victory, yamaha to name a few.

I leave the rear cylinder option off and the bike is no more hot then my vstar 1300 in traffic, the vstar 1300 would be brutal when stuck in traffic and that radiator fan would kick on and blow all the heat back on my wife and I. The Harley, the heat just goes whichever way the wind blows. I'm not for or against air cooled or water cooled, though it is kind of cool for the first time owning an air cooled bike that is one less thing to service.

Who cares about sales numbers? Not me, I ride what I like, but the sales numbers do reflect harley is giving the riders what they want and it's also kind of cool having the huge dealer network.

That is one function of the circuit...the other is to keep the rear cylinder from overheating, and if it kicks in for this reason, it can't be turned off until the engine cools down...

Originally Posted By: dr2152
What's with all the "marketing" [censored]? Who cares? The title of the thread is about Japan taking over the motorcycle industry...which is a benign concept. Japanese companies manufacture millions of bikes under 125cc and the majority of those are not motorcycles, they are scooters. Back to the title of the thread....HD, a US manufacturer makes and sells half of the worlds motorcycles over 600cc. It is what it is no mater how you feel about it. One US company, half the world supply and no one else comes close. Why do you think each of the Japanese big 4 continually make and market so many HD "knockoffs"? Last time I checked Honda was making no less than 12 different Harley "wanabe" models, yet they produce less than 70,000 total motorcycles over 500cc each year. How do you think that's working out for them and their dealers?

Regarding the engine design point, what major manufacturer can you name that isn't building using the basic "original" engine design of an air cooled piston engine? If you think HD has not changed their "basic engine design" in 100 years you need to take apart a pre 1920 HD single, a HD WWII flat twin, a Knuckle head, a panhead, a shovel head, a twin-cam, a rushmore, and a
V-Rod so you can see for yourself that you are spewing nonsense.

When did Harley install rear cylinder shutdown due to cylinder failure?

I don't remember when they started installing these circuits, and I don't know if it was because of actual failures, but I do know it was installed because the rear cylinder doesn't cool adequately when the bike is not moving, or is moving too slowly (like in heavy traffic)....

If it was to prevent engine damage you wouldn't be able to turn it off. Furthermore there is no reference in the owners manual to engine damage, only rider comfort and completely optional. But again, no matter the maker, air cooled engines can get hot, HD gives you an option to have a cylinder shut down in those conditions, no other company with an air cooled engine does.

Ps. I do THINK someday it's possible all engines will possibly have liquid cooling, but who knows....

If they do, it will be because of government regulations more than likely. Triumph just ditched their rock solid 790/865cc twins in favor of new liquid cooled ones because of upcoming regulations on emissions.

If it was to prevent engine damage you wouldn't be able to turn it off. Furthermore there is no reference in the owners manual to engine damage, only rider comfort and completely optional. But again, no matter the maker, air cooled engines can get hot, HD gives you an option to have a cylinder shut down in those conditions, no other company with an air cooled engine does.

Yep, Harley right on the leading edge of technology.

Like I said, if the engine is in an overheated condition, you can't override the circuit until the overheat condition is gone...

Originally Posted By: KernelK

Yep, Harley right on the leading edge of technology.

That's hilarious!

Ps. I do THINK someday it's possible all engines will possibly have liquid cooling, but who knows....

Harley will never do it until they can figure out how to make a liquid cooled engine sound like their air cooled ones...sound is more important than anything when it comes to Harleys...

Cut the [censored]. This is some performance for a relatively stock bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcOLPaV9Ls

The Japanese are so good at making them, they're cheap. They are not a fashion accessory and most are not marketed as a lifestyle, and most people don't accessorize with their branded do-dads. Who cares if they end up in a boneyard in 10 years, you can go buy a better one. Most of the older ones I have restored were not actually worn out. They were trashed due to poor storage, maintenance, and hack "mechanics". Properly taken car of, most will last a lifetime. So whats the big deal? Do we all really need to ride the same brand bike? Do whatever you need to do to re-assure yourself.

Originally Posted By: JetStar

The Japanese are so good at making them, they're cheap. They are not a fashion accessory and most are not marketed as a lifestyle, and most people don't accessorize with their branded do-dads. Who cares if they end up in a boneyard in 10 years, you can go buy a better one. Most of the older ones I have restored were not actually worn out. They were trashed due to poor storage, maintenance, and hack "mechanics". Properly taken car of, most will last a lifetime. So whats the big deal? Do we all really need to ride the same brand bike? Do whatever you need to do to re-assure yourself.

Harley guys have to do something to justify what they spend on their bikes to make themselves feel good about having a bike payment that's equivalent to most people's house payments...

Harley guys have to do something to justify what they spend on their bikes to make themselves feel good about having a bike payment that's equivalent to most people's house payments...

Grampi do you have a life outside Harley bashing. Maybe see if the Suzuki will start and go for a ride. You make up stories about Harley's and spread misinformation. Why do you care what other people ride? I have had one Harley go into heat mode after an hour of stop and go traffic due a big interstate accident. That is in 70k miles. Now my Honda air cooled is a different story but who cares.

Grampi do you have a life outside Harley bashing. Maybe see if the Suzuki will start and go for a ride. You make up stories about Harley's and spread misinformation. Why do you care what other people ride? I have had one Harley go into heat mode after an hour of stop and go traffic due a big interstate accident. That is in 70k miles. Now my Honda air cooled is a different story but who cares.

If you'd bother reading the thread you'd see that it was the Harley guys who started bashing metrics...and I haven't said anything that isn't true...but like all Harley guys, you aren't interested in facts...and I don't have a Suzuki anymore, I now have a Triumph...I don't care what anyone rides, it's the Harley guys who bash anyone who doesn't ride a Harley...

If you'd bother reading the thread you'd see that it was the Harley guys who started bashing metrics...and I haven't said anything that isn't true...but like all Harley guys, you aren't interested in facts...and I don't have a Suzuki anymore, I now have a Triumph...I don't care what anyone rides, it's the Harley guys who bash anyone who doesn't ride a Harley...

So someone else bashed a metric bike and you had to bash Harley's? That what my kids said when they were 10. Fact is Harley does not have rear cylinder failure problem due to heat. The old heat management system would alternate shutting down cylinders (rear and front). The new system that shuts down the rear cylinder is for rider comfort. The new bikes run cooler. My Honda must be shut off as it does not have a heat management system. Most of the Harley riders I know pay cash for their toys.

I'm glad you got a British bike. Now go ride it.

Harley will never do it until they can figure out how to make a liquid cooled engine sound like their air cooled ones...sound is more important than anything when it comes to Harleys...

Grampi,
1. You do know that Harley has been using liquid cooled engines in some of its expensive V-Twin cruisers the last few years dont you? Sound isnt an issue.

2. You do know Harley uses liquid cooling in its cheaper smaller 500 and 750 street bikes as well?

3. Grampi, Harley does what its buyers demand within reason.
Example, I owned two metric bikes with liquid cooling in the steaming South Carolina summers.
I like liquid cooling but honestly I am REALLY enjoying my Non Liquid Cooled 14 Road King, granted it does have an oil cooler but maintenance free. The air cooled engine is no hotter to the rider then a liquid cooled engine is, that is one BIG mistake people misunderstand.
I LOVE the fact that I have no concerns on my Road King regarding the cooling system!
I always wondered about my Vstar 1300, what would happen if I decided to keep the bike a long time, once in a while people would have an issue with the waterpump, well guess what? The water pump on a Vstar 1300 is combined with the oil pump and to change the water pump you have to pull the oil pan! *L*

To the rider, the heat is the heat, a liquid cooled engine generates just as much heat if not more then an air cooled engine, if people understood that, it wouldnt bother them as much.

But EPA constrants, engine makers once again in a horse race to get more horsepower out of these engines and will maybe demand more liquid cooled engines in the future so they can run the engines even hotter. they can only run an air cooled engine so hot, They can run a liquid cooled engine much hotter and more heat to the rider.

Last edited:
JetStar said:

So someone else bashed a metric bike and you had to bash Harley's? That what my kids said when they were 10. Fact is Harley does not have rear cylinder failure problem due to heat. The old heat management system would alternate shutting down cylinders (rear and front). The new system that shuts down the rear cylinder is for rider comfort. The new bikes run cooler. My Honda must be shut off as it does not have a heat management system. Most of the Harley riders I know pay cash for their toys.

I'm glad you got a British bike. Now go ride it.

Well said, and like me, I LOVE all bikes! I want a few, not all Harleys by any means but my means and justify to my wife, I can not own more then one at a time ... YET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back