Jaguar XJL 3.0 D oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since i hsve posted but have been popping in and out!

Not sure if this engine is fitted to any vehicles in NA but the engine itself is a PSA Group lump, also fitted to the Discovery 4, Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, Jaguar XF and most if not all Peugeot and Citreon vehicles with the 3.0d option, don't know if there are others.

Basically the vehicle was registered at the end of Nov 2011 and has just under 90k on the clock!

Was owned by a Chauffeur and that is the reason I have bought it to continue this usage.

Car has full Jaguar History and was last serviced at around 75k back in June/July, all done with the same main dealer.

The standard service interval for this vehicle is 16k miles of 1 year.

My thinking is to continue with main dealer servicing and perform an interim oil change.

Thr oil filter is an insert i believe and though info is scarce i was thinking of using Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE as it has the required low saps and i believe it needs a fuel economy oil.

Any comments, as usual, welcomed.

Want to run this for four years and up to around 300k then retire it.

As mentioned in my post but probably not very clearly it is a 3.0 diesel. The same engine as fitted to PSA Group vehicles such as the Citreon C6.

As far as i am aware the current engine line up is moving away from the Ford influence.

Would need to look into the lineage of the current 3.0v6 petrol.

But i don't think it is the Duratec lumo which was fitted to the X Type, Mondeo based Jaguar from the previous decade, though i always thought that was a nice engine if expensive to maintain, the Traffic Police used to love the Mondeo with that engine.

I would suspect that NA customer have much more experience than any cinsumer in Europe.

Will post up when i find out where and from what the V6 is derived from

I owned a 1998 Jag XJ8 Vandan Plas for a year. I saved up forever to own it, and just after I turned 17, I got myself a fine example. It had an extremely well balanced 4 liter V8, even though I believe the straight 6 was a better motor. Most of the 17-18 lifted truck driving "insert bad opinionated names" often keyed the car, and once when I forget the lock the doors at school, one of them got in a ripped all the door panels out. Not to mention someone stole my only set of keys, and I had to dig do deep into my pockets to tow the car to a dealership to have new keys made. However the car soldiered on until knocking came from the timing chains, and with a new job, and increased travel, it was time to sell it.
frown.gif

I'll never forget that XJ and just thinking of it wants me to get another as a Sunday driver... But I think its time to pursue my dream car, an E-Type
laugh.gif

However, to answer your question, and from my memory, most jags of the 3 liter era specified a 5w-30/5w-40 oil. I hear Castrol Magnitec it a favorite in GB. I ran standard Castrol 5w-30 in mine before switching to Castrol Syntec. I personally believe these engines are not picky on oil, and once you figure out you proper oil grade, find an A2 or A3 semi-synthetic like Halfords or Coma or Carlube and call it a day.

Sorry for the long answer, and story. Good luck to you and you Jag

Cheers
Travis

A quick Google would suggest it is the same engine as fitted to the S Type and old model XJ.

I don't think they were the same engine as the X Type V6.

crackmeup2.gif

Man sorry, but you are asking people in NA about PSA engine!
Of course they never heard about it, except maybe on google.
Unfortunately because of lack of governemnt regulation (you know, attacks on freedom and similar political rethoric) you still have gas in NA that has levels of sulfur from 80's (CA being exepction, but they hate "freedom"), that culture is driving pick-up truck with V8 OHC engine and 2 valves per cylinder, while same pick-up truck with maybe 3.0ltr diesel engine would be attack on cultural values.
I would say for that Jag it is C3 oil, 5W30!

The XJ state side never had a V6... Up until 97 the I-6 was used and in 98 was the first time the XJ had a V8 fitted. The 3.0L was only used in X-Types and S-Types. On my third Jag and currently own an 05 XJR with the supercharged 4.2. Best car I've ever owned.

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
The XJ state side never had a V6... Up until 97 the I-6 was used and in 98 was the first time the XJ had a V8 fitted. The 3.0L was only used in X-Types and S-Types. On my third Jag and currently own an 05 XJR with the supercharged 4.2. Best car I've ever owned.

This V6 does not have anything in common with older Jag engines or Ford engines. This V6 deiasel is product of cooperation between Ford and Peugeot and Citroen (PSA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back