Jack for SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

The little jack that comes with a Toyota FJ is better than nothing by the side of the road and not quite as good in rough terrain. As I was installing the modular transport crates for the mutts I realized that if I don't take the jack out of the little holder spot inside the wheel well I will never see it again until I dispose of the vehicle. No matter, I probably don't really want it anyhow.

I see people driving around with high-lift ranch jacks, and for the life of me I don't see how they would work for changing a tire. There's no place to attach the jack to the car, and previous experience says you can pick a vehicle with a lot of suspension travel very far up into the air and the tire will still be on the ground.

I've seen the compact floor jacks, they seem plausible, and I suppose a bottle jack could be pressed into service but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Any ideas for a way to lift an FJ to change a tire, something that can fit in the foot well behind a front seat, something not terribly heavy or cumbersome, something that won't beat up a passenger in the event of a roll-over?

You need a real old school metal bumper to use a high lift jack. I wouldn't trap the supplied jacking tools.For off roading. I would supplement it with a 4 ton bottle jack. Lots of wood, for cribbing and chocking, a small shovel and maybe a come-along and a strap. $WD just gets you stuck worse.
grin2.gif

PS, off roading requires a for real full size spare

I have one of the HF 12 ton bottle jacks. IIRC it just gets the job done. The problem with at least my Tundra (maybe yours?) is lift range. Lots of suspension travel might mean needing two--lift up with until it stops, crib a second one, finish the job.

Those ranch jacks are down right dangerous.

And yepp, if you have a lot of suspension travel the tire won't leave the dirt.

I would think jacking from the axle, not the body or the bumper, would eliminate any suspension travel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back