I'VE BEEN DENIED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on the (almost) 400k miles!

It's a shame that happens, but that was considered big mileage back then. I do wonder how that is "rectified" when it comes to federal and state laws regarding odometer statements on bills of sale and titles ..... ?????

Regardless, keep it running!

My I ask when engine and trans?

What OCI and maintenance plan?

What Oil and filter typically?

Wow.

Around here each year when the vehicle goes for a state inspection the mileage is logged. IIRC Carfax might even show the records of when the vehicle was inspected, and the miles at the time of the inspection. When it shows it went from some reading of miles in the 300,000's, back to 300,000 that might set off a red flag. I don't know of many people who have driven 400,000 miles so it might be something to look into if your state records the miles when the vehicle is inspected. Nice job!!!

AFAIK, I can't see the odometer setting a red flag hehe. They'd be thinking it's a typo with that many miles on it
wink.gif

Here in FL, after a vehicle hits 10 years old, they don't even care if you put the odometer on your registration.....kinda strange....they say they are "exempt".....so when I registered my 88 Dodge Aries, with 27k - they didn't even ask, or need to verify it.

In a way, it makes sense. It's really the "new" vehicles that are being flipped from owner to owner, to rental agency, to lease, back to owner, etc....that they really want to keep track of the mileage for I guess.....who really cares how many miles are on say a '71 VW Beetle with a rebuilt engine?
smile.gif

In NY they log miles at the time of the inspection. This year they dropped the Dyno sniffer test. A relief for many, and they even dropped the price of a state inspection for the pre 1996 cars that had to run on the Dyno. How nice of them.

A friend of mines mother has a nissan maxima with 470,000+ miles on it. Original engine, clutch only been changed once....

But congrats man!!!!!!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Sucks that the car doesnt show that glorious 400k, but you know it's there....

Congrats on the 400K, you're way ahead of my '93 F-150 Lightning, that has 124K mi...

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Drive in reverse until it hits 399,999 and take a pic!!
smile.gif

Not much chance of that, the electrically operated odo's add miles even in reverse...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

It's a shame that happens, but that was considered big mileage back then. I do wonder how that is "rectified" when it comes to federal and state laws regarding odometer statements on bills of sale and titles ..... ?????

In VA there is a box on the title one checks if the vehicle "exceeds mechanical limits", since the odo isn't mechanical I suppose it wouldn't have to be checked...

Originally Posted By: hi-miler
So all this time I've been posting in my signature the progress on the mileage for my Ford F150. Today I reach the milestone of 400,000 miles and . . . wait for it . . . the digital odometer clicks from 399,999.9 to . . . 300,000! WHAT!?! I do the customary double take and it's official, the digital odometer on the 93 F150 doesn't go above 300K. Talk about anticlimatic. Yeah, like anyone's gonna believe me when I turn 500K, or that I even hit 400.
Steve

I beleive you!

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Drive in reverse until it hits 399,999 and take a pic!!
smile.gif

Anyone here remember Ferris Bueller`s Day Off when they tried to do that to the Ferarri? Haha!!!!!!!!

My Step father was a salesman for Altronics. A local alarm system co. here in my area. He bought a new 1984 Lincoln Mark VII (the ones that looked like a modified Cougar)So needles to say he put a gazillion miles on that baby. One time I got in to go get cigarettes for him,and the odo said ERROR on the display. That car was all digital like my Laser. When I got back home,I said whats the deal with your odo? He said "oh it`s been like that since 199,999 miles."

Last edited:
Congrats on the milesone, even if the digital gods laughed at you. At least you got to see a real 100k, 200k, and 300k. I just got to see 99,999.9 four times.
eek.gif
I really should go to the effort to put my '73 Plymouth back on the road. Its within spitting distance of 500k (about 437,800 currently). I parked it when I rebuilt my '66... frankly I was bored with the 73 after all those years and miles of driving it and it needed some TLC. But it made its last daily use and pulled into the storage building 100% under its own power, and could be back up and running with an afternoon's work (mostly consisting of draining the mineral oil out of the carb, which I put in to preserve it, flushing/bleeding the brake lines, and re-filling the cooling system).

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I don't know how other states handle it, but the Texas title transfer form has a box under the odometer reading section that you check in this situation... it says "beyond mechanical limits." I guess now is should technically be "beyond software limits," but the same thing applies.

Only had time to read the first couple of pages this morning before heading out the door, I'll see what I've missed this evening.
Engine: 351 Windsor
Trans: E40D
Oil: Currently Amsoil 0w-30 at recommended oil changes
Filter: Amsoil EAO
Tranny fluid: Exxon the last time, with a Amsoil semi change. I think LubeGard is a good responsible additive for the trans.

Steve

I didn't start out with Amsoil, I started with Castrol, then changed to Mobil 1, then to Amsoil. I had to rebuild the brake system once because I forgot the importance of getting the old fluid out every other year, and I had to pull the head due to a bolt that corroded out due to my overlooking the antifreeze needing changing also.
In all the discussions of the fluid brands, some of us forget the importance of getting the old stuff out and the new stuff in.
I had some guy smarter than I'll ever be tell me that you can't depart from the basics till you master the basics. Experience has taught me to humbly agree.

Steve

That's is serious denial! I don't think I'll ever even see 300K miles... I wonder if the metric cars go past 399k km as well?

Hi-miler... at what recommended changes? Amsoil's or Ford's?

and if so at Amsoil's, how much oil do you have to add throughout?

Oil changes are at Amsoils recommendations, other fluids are at manufacturers or commonly recommended changes.
Oil- 25K or 1 year.
Tranny- 100K but only because of Lubegard.
Brake fluid- every other year
Antifreeze- Every 5th year
Hoses & belts- Every 5th year or as needed.
Rear end- 100K more or less
Power steering- Every 5th year
Lube job- When I do the brakes either front or rear, including the front wheel bearings.
I use synthetic not because I've got religion, it just makes sense if you're going to run a vehicle this kind or miles.
I use a paint pen or a permanent marker to date things in the engine compartment even though I keep a log. Just makes reminders a bit easier.
My final goal is 500K. We'll see.

Steve

Last edited:
That's a neat idea with the paint pen, I like that.

Obviously not possible for belts and hoses, but eh :p

hehe, kinda similar situation, my 88 Dodge Aries only has 5 "rolling digits" - so at 99,999 miles, it'll roll back to 00001 mile(s)
smile.gif

Makes it a tad easier anyways, for ongoing maintenance to keep track since I'm hoping it'll roll over to 0 :p And not some "rounded off" number that'll make ongoing maintenance and fuel records [censored] to manage
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back