italian tuneup finer points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoying a bout of warm weather, I'm trying to drive my 95 Saturn SW1 5spd more aggressively to blow out any perceived carbon. I'm wondering if it's the high revs or wide-open throttle position of the classic "Italian Tuneup" that does the work? Ideally I'd do both but the roads around here are limited to 50-55mph and I'm quickly doing that in 2nd gear. Once fully warmed up I get two seconds here, two there, which I don't feel is enough.
smile.gif

I can more gently rev to redline at half throttle (car still zips) and I can upshift to third earlier and spend some time there (not really lugging, maybe 3500 rpm).

I put in exactly one gallon of 93 octane and some FI cleaner when I filled this tank (the rest 87 octane), so I want to "do it right" the next 300 miles....
burnout.gif

One thing I've always wondered is if you have built up carbon, will driving it hard actually get rid of it, or simply prevent more carbon from forming?

A lot of guys with LS1 engines have carbon buildup and they drive them very hard, so certain engines just seem to be prone to carbon buildup.

Being an "old" man I remember all to well doing "Italian" tune-ups
wink.gif
. They usually involved a vehicle with a carburetor driven VERY conservatively by our parents. OR a true sports car that ran rich and loaded up unless it was "exercised"
grin.gif
. Unfortunately I was relegated do doing "Italian" tune-ups to my parent's cars. If only they knew
burnout.gif

Whimsey

I dont see how running at WOT will clean the carbon. On the contrary, the fuel mixture will be rich, which will cause more carbon to form IMO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back