Isnt the 15mm socket ubiquitous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a real problem with a small 3/8 cordless impact. Not a bad way to do it with a tight fitting 6 point socket if you don't have air or the proper air hammer tool.

News flash a 11.99 HF set wont be as nice as a 189$ sk set.

They have very useable tools up around the 30$ mark.

Since you like shopping Harbor freight now
lol.gif

Check out
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html
15$ with coupon
Note: if any excessive or unintended burning occurs its your problem
grin2.gif

Its about the most unsafe object in there but their desc.
"A safe propane torch for applications around the home" is not accurate for anything thats basically a flamethrower.

You know.. Come to think of it, my HF ratcheting wrench set didn't come with a 15mm wrench.. Which of course seems to be a popular size on my Jeep and very handy in junk yards.

Originally Posted By: Rand

lol.gif

Check out
15$ with coupon
grin2.gif

"A safe propane torch for applications around the home" is not accurate for anything thats basically a flamethrower.

Nobody said it would be as nice.

Its purely that 15mm is a common size and is NOT included. I suppose it is to force the upsell from the $12 set to the $24 set for most.

That flamethrower is scary! Melt snow? LOL.

On European cars way back the common sizes were; 10, 13, 14, 17,19 21, 22 and 24 mm. Japanese cars were similar except they used 12mm where we used 13.
But now 15,16 and 18mm are commonly used, along with torx fittings.
The rule of thumb I use is if a wrench set misses out on a few sizes it probably isn't a good quality item. Ok for a home handyman maybe, but not for anyone serious about maintaining their own car.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Rand

lol.gif

Check out
15$ with coupon
grin2.gif

Nobody said it would be as nice.

Its purely that 15mm is a common size and is NOT included. I suppose it is to force the upsell from the $12 set to the $24 set for most.

That flamethrower is scary! Melt snow? LOL.

its scary picture a hot air balloon burner in your hand scary ;P

HF sells single sockets also but I dont remember if they are impact.

I have found that cheap socket sets tend to leave out the sizes that "overlap" between SAE and metric. That means you can usually find a socket in the alternate measurement universe that will fit. A "better" set would have all the exact sizes.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have found that cheap socket sets tend to leave out the sizes that "overlap" between SAE and metric. That means you can usually find a socket in the alternate measurement universe that will fit. A "better" set would have all the exact sizes.

That makes sense. Someone else mentioned 9/16 is close. Still, for high torque or impact that just scares me. Close enough could mean rounding off if youre applying a lot of torque, like something such as an impact can provide.

That said, the HF cheap "impact" sockets are not even the correct alloy, and therefore may be dangerous for impact. Good and heavy for hand tools Id guess.

I think for hand tools the old truism applies as much as it ever did; "If you want it good, it won't come cheap".
The high quality metals and precision engineering manufacturing process rule out Snap On quality at HF prices.

Claud

Thats a fact. A quality ratchet in 1/4 - 1/2 size is about $100-$150, it will last a lifetime of being used hard.
I have my dads set of box wrenches. Made with Chrome Moly Vanadium steel, he paid DM 100 for them in 1955 which was a small fortune.

I wasn't even born when he got these but i still use them today, they are as good as new. When i am gone my son will use them.
My dad felt the pinch when he bought them but they have been going strong almost 60 years in professional use, were they really expensive?

Nice to see SK is back in the game, they were always really good tools and worth every penny.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I believe 9/16" is so close to 15mm that it can be used in its stead.

Google says 14.2875mm for 9/16. Err, I'll take a pass, but might hammer a 14 on a stuck 9/16.

5/8" is a great tight 16mm though at 15.875mm.

What scares me are the "spline" box end wrenches. They try to pass for universal, and those little splines just seem like they'll scrape rust and round stuff off.

That's why these are CHEAP socket sets. If you're halfway serious about being a mechanic you will buy a better set that comes with the sizes you need.

That being said, I have frequently supplemented my sets with individual sockets. The same goes for combination wrenches.

Impact sockets are not the same materials. I have often used regular sockets with my electric impact wrench (six pointed sockets only), but I would not use one with a pneumatic impact tool.

To make up for it, you could buy the 15MM socket separately. HF sells many sockets as singles in both regular and impact. Sears does too. When I needed a 5/8" socket in 1/2" drive for my full floating axle's nuts and my breaker bar and torque wrench, I went and paid $5 or so at Sears for a single socket. I got more than $5 use out of it doing the work myself. I don't make a habit of that but if I need something specific, I will.

Usually I check pawn shops first though. Sometimes I get lucky. They sell Craftsman sockets for $1 or less each usually. If you get one, they usually do $1. If you get a bunch, you can often get 7-10 for $5.

I have an odd, sized small wrench that tends to fit the brake booster push rods. It's a weird */32 or */64 size and the wrench is only about 4-5 inches long. I got it from a pawn shop for under $1 as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back