Is Valvoline Really That Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure. I read a few posts awhile back that said Valvoline has a weak additive package or something. Perhaps the others have too many additives.

Keep in mind when reading Maxlife UOA's that many of those engines are using maxlife to counter an existing problem.

I've used Valvoline AllClimate with good results.

Buford remembers correctly, I think. There was a post, or more than one, that stated Valvoline's add pack is just barely adequate to meet specs.

Don't remember the details, though. I used it for an Auto-Rx cleaning phase with no problems that I could discern. Then GTX for the rinse phase, which did seem to make the car run smoother. But with the ARx cycle in play, there were too many variables to make any real judgments.

Older voa's showed Valvoline all-climate did have a weak add pack. But i remember seeing those a few years ago, things could have, and probably have changed.

Buford Everyone on this site has an opinion and will say this oil is this addpak or this oil is this base stock when In fact NO one here knows what is used.

Major blenders vary all the time in base oils and additives and with Katrina a lot more of this is going on so unless you are the MFG anything else is a guess thats all.

Use a good quality SL or SM oil from a repitable supplier and be happy.
bruce

I've never used it, but, for me I think a big turn off was the advertisement, and how it's all hyped up to be this uber oil. "More mechanics who know use Valvoline"....hmmm, and just what do mechanics know about oil
grin.gif
lol. After hearing so much about how it's add pack is weak, and seeing the commercials, it just doesn't seem worth the price to me. I'd use it if I could find it on sale, like around the buck a quart range. But at roughly 2 something I think it's kinda overpriced to be running it for 3K OCI's, because that's about as far as I'd run it. Again, this is just how I see things, and I know many have used it for years with no issues, but it's just not something I would use....unless I could find it for under a buck.

Just my unprofessional opinion
tongue.gif

posted May 29, 2006 07:58 AM
I've never used it, but, for me I think a big turn off was the advertisement, and how it's all hyped up to be this uber oil.

And this is unique to Valvoline? Many companies "claim" their product is somehow superior to the competition. Look at all the castrol commercials that are being aired now "maximum protection against sludge build up". but if you look on the back of just about any oil bottle it will say practically the same thing.

I personally think that it is worth every penny! In almost 30 years of using Valvoline, I have yet to spend a dime on an engine repair that could be attributed to oil failure. As for advertisement, all companies advertise and they all look for something that they can hang their hats on in their advertising. I would think that veteran mechanics would know at least a little bit more about motor oil performance than the average person. The true experts,such as Terry,tell us that we cannot judge an oil's performance capability by VOA's. Terry has also stated that Valvoline's oils are well formulated. Terry, if I have misquoted you please, correct me and accept my apology.

I think the gripe against Valvoline is the same as it is against Syntec. Cost for the benefit. It doesn't seem anymore special than any other dino yet it's pretty darn pricey.

from advance auto's website:

Castrol GTX-2.78/qt
motorcraft- 2.48/qt
pennzoil- 2.68/qt
valvoline- 2.52/qt

I dont understand how valvoline is SO much more than any other oil. Yes, there are cheaper oils (havoline-1.98/qt) but castrol, pennzoil and motorcraft are all used by many people here for virtually the very same price.

quote:

Originally posted by schwartr88:
from advance auto's website:

Castrol GTX-2.78/qt
motorcraft- 2.48/qt
pennzoil- 2.68/qt
valvoline- 2.52/qt

I dont understand how valvoline is SO much more than any other oil. Yes, there are cheaper oils (havoline-1.98/qt) but castrol, pennzoil and motorcraft are all used by many people here for virtually the very same price.

Well, I don't think the GTX is worth it either. Call me cheap, but I refuse to pay over 2 bucks a quart for dino. That's just me.

I used both SynPower Euro 5w-40 and A3 DuraBlend 10w-40 almost exclusively before joining BitOG in 2002. Given the limited availability of Euro-rated oils at the time, it was not a bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back