Is Toyota WS ATF really THAT bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the UOA, WS is nothing special. Pretty much used up by 30k. So, I've been doing drain and fills at 15k with the WS ATF in my Avalon, which is pretty standard for me. Does great. Takes right at 2 quarts. 55k total miles now. Also have done the Corolla a couple times.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

Yah, 'cuz the parts guy would never upsell anyone, nor try to convince a customer that they should let the well-trained monkeys technicians out back do the work for them.

I changed the trans oil on my truck, and while it's a pain it's not rocket science. Get trans to temp, pull a plug. Add as necessary. I'd much rather a dipstick, which would then double as a fill tube; but since the diffs are essentially the same (minus the temperature bit) I'm not sure how much I ought to hate on it.

True, may not be rocket science, but some of these designs lacking a dipstick requires the car be at a certain angle, either completely flat, or tilted a certain way, and a certain number of degrees, otherwise, an underfill will occur. Bad design definitely. Just requires the owner performing the maintenance be mindful of the requirement if there is any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back