is this to thin for Briggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's always a good idea to start with the manufacturers suggestions and work from there."

Yes ... and the manufacturer's recommendation is 5W-30 so you don't want to stray too far from that.

'Tuber. the 0W-30 will be a bit of overkill in Kentucky. May I ask what brand? Citgo? Chevron? I bought Chevron 0W-30 ("Yeti Blood") for my snowblower ... but have yet to try it as the machine hasn't gotten enough use to get out of the break-in period.

Speaking of which, I'd use a cheaper oil (dino 5/10W30) and change it 3 times before the 12-15 hour mark rather than use the pricey stuff right from the start. After an hour or two, the original oil will be full of glitter and it's best to flush that abrasive junk out.

One thing to be wary of with a 0W30 in Kentucky, it may run thin at higher temps and get consumed quickly. Check the level frequently during the summer until you get familiar with the rate at which this engine consumes that particular oil. It may be fine, only your monitoring will determine that for sure.

If it were me, I'd use something else during the summer ... HDEO 10W30, 5W40 or even 15W40 (after it's seen a few seasons) ... and save the 0W30 for the winter.

Quote:
My new Briggs recommends 5w-30 full syn I am how ever a big fan of HDEO in small air cooled engines I found a 0w-30 full syn HDEO what are your thoughts.

Since you live in Kentucky USA, the 0W30 would be fine.

If you lived in Europe, nothing less than a 20W60 would suffice.
Just joking!
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If you lived in Europe, nothing less than a 20W60 would suffice.
Or in Australia...those blokes love their "molasses"...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
I've not seen a Briggs mower (Except for whole house generators or snowblowers) that called for anything other than HD 30.

What sort of engine is this?

Briggs recommends synthetic 5w30 engine oil for all their engines in all temperatures and have for about 5-10 years now.

n186.jpg

Briggs Oil Recommendation

SAE 30 40° F and higher (5° C and higher) is good for all purpose use above 40° F, use below 40° F will cause hard starting.

10W-30 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher.

Synthetic 5W-30 -20 to 120° F (-30 to 40° C) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.

5W-30 40° F and below (5° C and below) is recommended for winter use, and works best in cold conditions.

Umm.. can someone explain to me how 10W30 will increase oil consumption over 80 degrees F, when compared to 5w30?

It would? Why?

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
One thing to be wary of with a 0W30 in Kentucky, it may run thin at higher temps and get consumed quickly.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I've not seen a Briggs mower (Except for whole house generators or snowblowers) that called for anything other than HD 30.

Briggs recommends synthetic 5w30 engine oil for all their engines in all temperatures and have for about 5-10 years now.

n186.jpg

SAE 30 40° F and higher (5° C and higher) is good for all purpose use above 40° F, use below 40° F will cause hard starting.

10W-30 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher.

Synthetic 5W-30 -20 to 120° F (-30 to 40° C) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.

5W-30 40° F and below (5° C and below) is recommended for winter use, and works best in cold conditions.

Umm.. can someone explain to me how 10W30 will increase oil consumption over 80 degrees F, when compared to 5w30?

Briggs is comparing the conventional 10W-30 to their synthetic 5W-30. Non synthetic 5W-30 is only to be used below 40 F according to them. Synthetic oils have have a better base stock generally that operates better in cold and hot temps.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: webfors

n186.jpg

Briggs is comparing the conventional 10W-30 to their synthetic 5W-30. Non synthetic 5W-30 is only to be used below 40 F according to them. Synthetic oils have have a better base stock generally that operates better in cold and hot temps.

Whimsey

It's all about viscosity IMO. Nowadays base stocks have little to do with anything other than cold temp starts and all but the most extreme high temps. We've seen enough Syns and dino UOAs to know that they shear (mechanical or fuel) just as much as any conventional oil. I would put a HDEO 10w30 with a 3.5+ HTHS over any 3.0 HTHS syn any day at 100+ degrees in any small engine. That chart is overgeneralizing big time.

kschachn, the larger the spread between the numbers, the more likely the oil is to shear ... especially if pushed hard (high temps, constant high-RPMs).

If/when the oil shears, the more likely it is to get past rings and seals and get burned in the combustion chambers (consumed).

But these statements are mere generalizations. Oil formulations change frequently with some updated every several months.

Multi-vis oils are more stable now then they were 5, 10 or even more years ago so you can't be sure of anything. Best to keep on eye on things until you can sense a trend/pattern in your particular oil/unit/application.

Starting out, a 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 or staright 30 should all be the same at operating temp. However, over time, you might see some significant differences in their measured viscosity (again, at temp).

If you look in the charts of these two premium Viscosity Index Improvers, they have different information on treat rates, which will help understand what Bror Jace is getting at.

http://www.aftonchemical.com/ProductDataSheets/Engine Oil/HiTEC-5751_PDS.pdf

On the second page gives you typical treat rates for different Viscosity Indexes/rating spreads.

10W-30, 15W-40, and 20W-50 have traditionally been considered the most shear stable grades...and have around 5% polymer in a typical blend.

10W-40 has historically had a bad rap as shearing and breaking down...and it's over 10% VII additive "typically", 5W-30 is a little less, but still a lot more than the 10W-30.

http://www.aftonchemical.com/ProductDataSheets/Lubricant Components/HiTEC-5710_PDS.pdf

has a table at what 0, 5%, and 10% of that particular additive can achieve in different base oils.

Compare the 3cst base oil with 10% improver, versus the 5.2 cst with 5% improver...the latter will be more shear stable by less polymer in it, more shear stable by a thicker base-stock...but be poorer in extreme cold and viscosity index.

Great thread here! I have always used basic 10w30 dino oil in all the B&S mowers and basic 5w-30 dino in my snow blower. For the past few years I have used the Formula Shell brand oil in everything and have no problems to report.

I was considering not buying 10w-30 anymore and just running 5w-30 in everything for the sake of commonality and not having to buy 2 types of oil.

I am still not sure what I am going to do and this thread isn't helping much! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back