Is there any future museum cars driving now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The JZ80 Toyota Supra was last produced 15 years ago, and people proudly collect them.

The 1993-1995 Mazda RX-7 has also reached that status.

A lot of 80's and 90's European cars are getting collectable. W123 Mercedes are creeping up, 500E's are always nuts, G wagons are nuts. I can think of a few others Volvo 240's, Saabs, Toyota Landcruiser, etc.

For me its the Ferrari 355 which I thought was the coolest car when I was 10. I want a 355 before they go up in price.

I think many of today's current cars could be considered "classics" in the far future. I chuckle when it's mentioned that cars don't have as much character as the "old" cars used to, or cars don't drive like the "old" cars used to, or today's current cars are harder to fix than the "old" cars were. This could be, but it's a moving target of relativity. That's probably not the right way to say that, but I'm at a loss for other words.

This same conversation has been happening for decades, or over a century by now. Remember when fuel tanks were under the seat and had a little sight window so you could see the level in the tank? You know some young kid in the '30s or '40s swore that he'd only drive a 20 year old Model T because they didn't have those "new fangled" gas gauges that could fail and leave you stranded on the side of the turnpike. And you know that when electric starters were introduced, there was a large group of people who said, "I don't want that new junk, real men start their cars with a handle!" And you know that when post-war car bodies were introduced with flat fenders (rather than the long running board fenders), a big faction of people had this very same conversation: "man, these new cars just don't have any character compared with the old Duseys and Lincolns."

So I chuckle when people bow up and push their chest out and say, "none of this new junk is for me, I'll only drive a 1990 whatever-it-is because it's simple!" And I smile when folks say that cars are appliances today compared with yesteryear, as if a '60s Valiant with a 225 and a vinyl top was anything special back then. Everything's relative...it always has been and it always will be.

Remember this thread 30 years from now, when someone says, "man, today's cars just don't have any character. Do you remember that old 2014 Dart II and VW GTI and Civic SI and that silky new Ford Fusion and Mazda 6? Those cars had real flair compared with the appliances we have today."

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think many of today's current cars could be considered "classics" in the far future. I chuckle when it's mentioned that cars don't have as much character as the "old" cars used to, or cars don't drive like the "old" cars used to, or today's current cars are harder to fix than the "old" cars were. This could be, but it's a moving target of relativity. That's probably not the right way to say that, but I'm at a loss for other words.

This same conversation has been happening for decades, or over a century by now. Remember when fuel tanks were under the seat and had a little sight window so you could see the level in the tank? You know some young kid in the '30s or '40s swore that he'd only drive a 20 year old Model T because they didn't have those "new fangled" gas gauges that could fail and leave you stranded on the side of the turnpike. And you know that when electric starters were introduced, there was a large group of people who said, "I don't want that new junk, real men start their cars with a handle!" And you know that when post-war car bodies were introduced with flat fenders (rather than the long running board fenders), a big faction of people had this very same conversation: "man, these new cars just don't have any character compared with the old Duseys and Lincolns."

So I chuckle when people bow up and push their chest out and say, "none of this new junk is for me, I'll only drive a 1990 whatever-it-is because it's simple!" And I smile when folks say that cars are appliances today compared with yesteryear, as if a '60s Valiant with a 225 and a vinyl top was anything special back then. Everything's relative...it always has been and it always will be.

Remember this thread 30 years from now, when someone says, "man, today's cars just don't have any character. Do you remember that old 2014 Dart II and VW GTI and Civic SI and that silky new Ford Fusion and Mazda 6? Those cars had real flair compared with the appliances we have today."

Boom. One of the best posts I've ever read.

Boom! Wrong.

I was just following, on the commute to work, a "bumperless" new mazda cx5 that was lightly rear ended. The thing was crushed up to the rear wheel wells and the hatch open and the real lite cracked. Tin Junk. FEDS! forget CAFE for a minute, step it up on the minimum bumper standards again.

I have vey little passion for cars the way I did when NEW was really something special. Jaded and unimpressed I guess.

Some of the responses are great. I admit that my father is stuck in his era just like I will probably be stuck in mine, as my kids in their's. My dad always enjoys talking about his old '62 Buick__?__ 2 door, hard top, V8 and cruising around having fun with his car when he met my mom, but I only hear his petty complaints on his '12 Malibu. I know it's his age speaking, but my son is 22 and his friends/other people their age don't seem to have much passion for cars nowadays either, except for classic car shows during the summer months. My brother is working on a 5 year project truck that has his younger son interested in older vehicles too. He went with a fixer upper '41 Chevy step side pickup that isn't very far from stock looking except for a small block engine and auto trans. The cars we saw in the museum were from 1930's- late 1960's. All looked incredible and it was nice to see real chrome, large interiors, and stunningly designed exteriors. In about 3 years I was thinking of getting a newer car and getting rid of the 2 older ones I have currently. Right now, nothing has my interest on the GM side and I'll wait on all the hi-tech goodies the new cars offer now and see how they pan out.

Thanks Toyota for giving us reliable, boring looking vehicles in the'80s. You ruined a good thing
smile.gif
....just kidding

The "malaise" era of, well, huge 5 mph bumpers (1973-1983) kinda got a pass for being low-performance turkeys. Sure you could hop up to higher compression easily enough, and there were cuties like the Dodge Lil Red Wagon, but most stuff was garbage. Look through a downsized GM interior and there are akward parts bin things like sideways HVAC vents that don't really fit. The Malibu rear windows didn't roll down! Etc etc.

Where I'm going with this... I think we're neck deep in the next generation of these turkeys, but for style. Huge thick A-pillars, no visibility, played out retro looks. The stylists have jumped the shark on finding new material. The Buick Lacrosse looks ok from the front but check out where the rear door bottom meets the rocker panel-- no crease, no plastic, nothing going on!

Take a modern car, age it ten years, the headlights will be scratched and yellowed. The plastic-coated "chrome" will be full of condensation and funk-- look at a chevy bow tie on a few-years-old HHR for example.

Cars bottom out in value at around 25 years and this has been true for a while. VW bugs are hip again and toys for the rich. So are 1st gen Japanese RWD imports. What's next, pristine 1st gen Caravans just because of their rarity? 1st gen Tempos? We need cars so forgettable that 99.9% get crushed so the remaining ones are hip... same with any other collectible really. Beanie Babies won't make it. 35mm film cameras won't-- people paid too much and won't throw them out.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Boom! Wrong.

I was just following, on the commute to work, a "bumperless" new mazda cx5 that was lightly rear ended. The thing was crushed up to the rear wheel wells and the hatch open and the real lite cracked. Tin Junk. FEDS! forget CAFE for a minute, step it up on the minimum bumper standards again.

I have vey little passion for cars the way I did when NEW was really something special. Jaded and unimpressed I guess.

I'm sure your version of lightly rear ended would be different than the guy driving the Mazda would tell it.

Also safety is more important than if a car is repairable or totaled in an accident.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The "malaise" era of, well, huge 5 mph bumpers (1973-1983) kinda got a pass for being low-performance turkeys. Sure you could hop up to higher compression easily enough, and there were cuties like the Dodge Lil Red Wagon, but most stuff was garbage. Look through a downsized GM interior and there are akward parts bin things like sideways HVAC vents that don't really fit. The Malibu rear windows didn't roll down! Etc etc.

Where I'm going with this... I think we're neck deep in the next generation of these turkeys, but for style. Huge thick A-pillars, no visibility, played out retro looks. The stylists have jumped the shark on finding new material. The Buick Lacrosse looks ok from the front but check out where the rear door bottom meets the rocker panel-- no crease, no plastic, nothing going on!

Take a modern car, age it ten years, the headlights will be scratched and yellowed. The plastic-coated "chrome" will be full of condensation and funk-- look at a chevy bow tie on a few-years-old HHR for example.

Cars bottom out in value at around 25 years and this has been true for a while. VW bugs are hip again and toys for the rich. So are 1st gen Japanese RWD imports. What's next, pristine 1st gen Caravans just because of their rarity? 1st gen Tempos? We need cars so forgettable that 99.9% get crushed so the remaining ones are hip... same with any other collectible really. Beanie Babies won't make it. 35mm film cameras won't-- people paid too much and won't throw them out.

X2. This is a good example of why "the more things change, the more they stay the same" isn't really true here. The most collectible cars from the malaise era are trucks. Cars are built and marketed in a new and different way than they were before, and that will have an impact on collector value. There are also far more models than there used to be, so more cars will get lost in the mix.

Cars are more complex to repair, and do get totaled easier. Plus, with scrap prices higher than ever, when at the end of their life, fewer people will just stick them in a barn or garage, keeping the supply of parts and restorable cars up. They will get recycled instead, and many oddball parts you would need in a restoration will dry up.

All of the technology in cars HAS changed them. Had a customer who needed a rear HVAC switch for a Cadillac SRX. Not a complex control unit with a screen, a single switch assembly with no display. $172. Guess what? He decided to just live without it. Maybe he'll find it online cheaper, but that is one tiny part in a car loaded with features.

And the styling has gotten so strange and aimless, I think modern cars will age poorly. A lot of stuff from the mid 2000s already looks like garbage, and styling has only become stranger since. Yellow lights, cracked plastic, malfunctioning blend door actuators and such, several thousand to fix if anything major goes out or the car needs significant body work = junky disposa-car.

It is what it is. I am sorry, but I have a hard time believing many modern mainstream vehicles will have any kind of collector value. Car culture HAS changed, attitudes towards cars HAVE changed. They are less culturally significant than they used to be. People will not collect Sonatas the way they collect Tri Five Chevys or old Mustangs.

Some of the cars of only a few decades back are already there.
Honda 600, early Civic, any rear-engined VW, especially the vans and the Karman Ghia.
Every age has had different cars as emblematic.
The Corvette and the Viper are fast, but aren't really there and never will be.
Good original cars that average people bought and drove are always of value a few decades down the road.

People are already dropping 3x blubook for suzuki samurais. I had to buy both of our suvs out of state. Heaven forbid you want a 4 door 4wd suv that gets decent mileage.

The gen1 sciob xb will be a classic.

The 97 ford f350 4dr with 7.3 is almost there.

The excursion.

The h2 hummer is still selling for 20k+ at times.

The early eclipses with the 2.0 turbo.

Cosworth EVERYTHING.

Nissan 300zx bi turbo anyone?

There are a lot of things that will pop up.

Until I see something groundbreaking, I'll keep adding technology and comfort to my ride.

The weird 4 wheel drive civic wagons are getting cool, as are original CRXs. Fieros are getting up there, especially 1988s with the year-specific "good" suspension.

as far as future Museum Pieces:
EV-1 (already are)
Prius, Volt, Leaf, etc. as examples of early hybrid/electric vehicles (though my local Museum has an electric car from the early 1900's, it's not exactly new ground)

Mostly rare stuff.
Maybe some Shelby Dodge Stuff.
Shelby Lancer, Shelby CSX.
SVO Mustang, Maybe a SHO,
Some Shelby Mustangs and Cobras
89 Turbo Trans Am, Firehawks, Dale Earnhardt ss SS
CTS-V
Viper
ZR1 (any year)
Z06 (any year)
EVO
STI
M cars
AMG stuff
R32
S2000
NSX
Supra
Z cars
Maybe some more.
The rest of the stuff is just too common. I can't imagine you would ever see a WS6 like mine in a Museum. Even though you don't see many now, they made a bunch. I can't imagine a plain WRX or Lancer. Just too many made.

I suppose I could also be wrong...I just checked the Mecum auto auction results for Seattle.

2002 B4C(police package) Camaro 447 miles sold for 28000...WTH?

1982 Z28 1000 ish miles 22000...WTH?

1985 Buick Regal T-type 47000 miles 22000...

Those were just the ones I was interested in.

I guess you just never know. Most I would have been willing to part with for the B4C would have been about 14000.

Stuff like that could end up in a Museum.

It doesn't have to be the fastest of the fast, just weird. These super-fast cars are likely to be babied from day one and survive on that basis.

I expect an ummolested Mazda rotary pickup or station wagon from the 1970s would be a museum piece on weirdness alone. Being a utility vehicle the typical owner would have tired of the horrible MPG and other weirdness and retrofitted to a piston engine.

Similarly something like a V6 diesel cutlass ciera would make it as they're even rarer than the V8 diesels which got turned into gassers by dealers under warranty.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Mostly rare stuff.
Maybe some Shelby Dodge Stuff.
Shelby Lancer, Shelby CSX.
SVO Mustang, Maybe a SHO,
Some Shelby Mustangs and Cobras
89 Turbo Trans Am, Firehawks, Dale Earnhardt ss SS
CTS-V
Viper
ZR1 (any year)
Z06 (any year)
EVO
STI
M cars
AMG stuff
R32
S2000
NSX
Supra
Z cars
Maybe some more.
The rest of the stuff is just too common. I can't imagine you would ever see a WS6 like mine in a Museum. Even though you don't see many now, they made a bunch. I can't imagine a plain WRX or Lancer. Just too many made.

How about the first and last year models of the Olds Toronado? Wasn't it the first (or one of the first) FWD cars? I love the ones from the 60's!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back