Is there a VOA for Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to keep everyone updated, I have packaged up a sample of virgin Mobil 1 SN 0W-20 and will be mailing it to Blackstone today. I requested BOTH TBN AND TAN. If the postman cooperates and Blackstone processes the sample right away, I should be able to post the results late this Friday - otherwise, sometime early next week.

Question though - how do I get the lot number off of the Mobil 1 jug that I drew the sample from? I do see some numbers on the back label, but I vaguely recall you have to use an ultraviolet light or something to see the entire lot number.

Thanks for doin this, I have two fills of this to run next fall and winter. Mine is SM though. Should be similar I hope.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
Question though - how do I get the lot number off of the Mobil 1 jug that I drew the sample from? I do see some numbers on the back label, but I vaguely recall you have to use an ultraviolet light or something to see the entire lot number.

I'm going to take a stab at this. It's just a guess, you understand, based upon the relative ease we've become accustomed to regarding getting information from XOM.

Chill the jug to exactly 0C. Shine a UV lamp which includes the 300nm wavelength on the area just above the barcode. Simultaneously, hit it with a 530nm green light source. (Laser pointers using LiNb03 nonlinear crystal final stages are generally close enough.)

You'll see an interference pattern. (The invisible label is holographic.) The pattern can be interpreted as a binary code. Dark line pairs which are close together are 1's. Dark line pairs which are farther apart are 0's. Group the digits into groups of 8 and write down the resulting 12 decimal digits.

Find an IBM EBCDIC table (most CS texts from the late 1970s or before should include one in the appendix) and decode each of the decimal values (which should all be in the range of 193 to 249) into their regular GB English character representations. That's the number you're looking for.

Note that the above procedure may constitute a DMCA violation unless you have an NDA on file with XOM.

You can do something similar for Pennzoil products. But instead of using UV light, a specific frequency of green light, an interference pattern, and doing an EBCDIC translation, you can read the numbers off of the back of the bottle, using any light in the usual optical wavelengths, and write them down. It's a little simpler, because Pennzoil doesn't have the factory-fill synthetic market sewn up, and has been forced to innovate something simpler.

The above is, of course, intended humorously.

Seriously, though... your efforts on this are appreciated. I'm particularly interested in what's going on with the M1 AFE 0w20. I'm betting that the new formulation has significantly more molybdenum. But that's just a wild prediction on my part.

Regarding the UV light... it would not surprise me in the least, coming from XOM.

crazy2.gif

Well, something wierd happening....

According to delivery confirmation, the package containing the samples arrived at Blackstone Friday morning at 8:30AM, 22 April. I mailed two samples in - one for the VOA for this thread, another a UOA on my Lexus.

I've mailed so many samples to Blackstone, usually I mail them early in the week, and they have them Thursday or Friday, and I get the results via email late Friday.

Friday came and went, no email from Blackstone. Surprisingly, I received email early this morning (Sunday) at about 4:44AM. According to the email trail, it was sent late Friday, but I didn't receive it until early Sunday morning! And I received only one result, not both.

Not sure whether Blackstone has already performed the VOA on the Mobil 1 0W-20 and the report is just delayed getting sent, or perhaps it has already been sent and it is delayed getting to me like the other one was.

At any rate, I hope to be getting the VOA on 0W-20 Mobil 1 SN very soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back