is there a dino 0w-20 or the best 5w20 in a jug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jdhog
.....My owners manual recommends 0w20 over 5w20 .....

.... I don't want to pay like $6 qt for synthetic I think would be a waste with 5k OCI....

You probably paid a significant amount for a car that will be burning $4 gas; the $6/quart synthetic oil will be a VERY small percentage of the total operating cost of this vehicle. Is this relatively insignificant savings sufficient to ignore the factory recommendation?

If your average driving is relatively long trips then the 5w-20 would be fine but if short trips are the rule the 0w-20 will be the cheapest in the long run considering both fuel useage and wear.
Joe

You would never see a payback between 0w and 5w especially considering the cost of syn oil at 5,000 mile oil changes to keep Toyota happy on warranty .

If they had 0w20 in a jug on sale then I'd go for it or perhaps a whole case, but from the vast majority of opinions here including Toyota is gonna be pennzoil 5w20 or whatever they throw in her at the stealership when she goes in for the first OC.

I would respectively disagree with the idea of only using the 0w20 at temps of -20c or -20f or lower. And seeing that it says you’re in Alberta, I will not deny the fact you know something about cold weather.

At any temp around or below freezing, oil pours a lot slower than it does on a nice warm day. If 0w can help oil circulate faster, than it’s a good thing. Once at operating temp the 0w20 is the same as a 5w20.

Same goes for 5w30 and 10w30.

I’m sure that when multi-weight oil first came out, there was a lot of discussion and fear about using them.

In the past, people have ripped down v8 engines that had block heaters installed in them. Quite often there was more wear present on the side of the block that did not have the heater installed. Engine oil that is nice and liquid at startup will flow much better through all those small passages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back