Is the SOCOM Pistol avail for public Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words can I procure one with being Military/Law Enforcement?

I am also looking into the CZ 75 and anything by H&K.

[ April 27, 2006, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Socom, the .45 with a silencer? These are known as class 3 weapons. The only people who can own one are FFL holders. Not worth the hassle for the average guy to go through. Being in law enforcement/military doesent grant you class 3 buying/owning privileges.

The Socom is available for regular civilian sale sans suppressor. If I remember, the only difference between it and the regular military model is that the chamber is reamed to regular SAAMI specifications, I guess for liability purposes. It has the extended threaded barrel and rubber o ring seal if I remember. A civilian can also obtain a suppressor for it in many states but it requires a ATF tax stamp. Unlike full auto, suppressors can still be made and sold. Most people seem to just want the bare pistol anyway.

SOCOM

You know it is basicly a Browning type action. They are greatly over priced! THey can be had minus the supprosor. If you want a supresor get in line as the paper work will take a while!

the Mark 23 is a beautiful weapon. the only complaints i have heard about it are the price and the size. so i bought a USP tactical for just under a grand. it's the same as a full size USP .45 but with a threaded barrel, o-ring, match trigger and extended floorplate magazines. from what i can tell, it might be the closest thing to perfection that exists on this earth.

Well, I don't know how one can surpass minimum mean rounds between stoppages of 6,027 (and average much higher than that) and service life of over 30,000 of +P, or if exceeding that, what's the difference? Either would be dead reliable.

That said, the Mark 23 surprised me by not having, to my personal subjective impression anyway, markedly less recoil than the 1911, which I'd expected it would. Nonetheless, a truly excellent gun though of course too bulky to carry concealed.

sorry I will say H&K has the better weapon over the sig. they say you can abuse the **** out of that gun and it will still fire. but my cousin a cop seen alot of misfires with SIGs this other dept uses.

if the Sigs was better the seals would pick that over the H&K model.

How many of you are out there, rolling in mud, playing Rambo, abusing your gun on a regular basis? Just wondering. I figured most of you'd have your Betsy velcro-ed under your computer desk - like me. I used to have a crotch holster for my Desert Eagle with silencer and laser sight for those late night beer runs at Safeway, but I got tired of the constant cat calls.
wink.gif

Chris:

"The SIG is a better weapon. It has passed more durability and reliability tests."

-Which SIG model are you referring to?

Browning:

"They are greatly over priced"

-I somewhat concur, the Mk 23 is described as a "match grade" pistol. Between low production numbers and the noted component endurance/reliability would that justify cost at all? A custom built match grade 1911 .45ACP Kimber KTM0001 has an MSRP of $1336 for reference$

moribundman I used that as to show how well designed and built the H&K is that if under that abuse it still preforms that well. the average joe will have no prob with this gun ever malfunctioning.

most of the time they are to scared or excited to hit the broad side of a barn. why I have a nice 12 guage next to my bed. I just have to aim in the general direction
twak.gif

Actually at modest ranges your aim must still be within a few inches. For example at 21 feet the spread may have a radius of only 4 inches.

Mk 23 is available for civilian use.
Sound suppressor is also available: proper paperwork with ATF, $200 tax stamp, etc... only in states that permit sound suppressors.

Expect to pay about $5000 for the Mk 23 and sound suppressor.

quote:

if the Sigs was better the seals would pick that over the H&K model.

Actually, at one time or another, they have picked the Sig for use.

That being said, BOTH are very fine and reliable sidearms.

Update,

The only experiance I have with the .45ACP was a Thompson Submachine gun fired a few years ago.

I still have not fired a H&K Mark 23 Mod 0 (SOCOM). However last week I tried the H&K USP Tactical in .45ACP. At 1st I was very reluctant on the 45 round having "bad" experiances with Glock .40 rounds. Bad as in percieved lack of control and muzzle flip. Also the 9mm mafia has many brainwashed against larger rounds
frown.gif
The prolly has a lot to do with the M9 Berreta and NATO etc.

The control and accuracy were impressive. In fact it was a pleasure to fire it. I also was very happy with the circular-ring sights. Ammunition used was Remington FMJ, "yellow-box".

Outrun, if you want a fun and extremely accurate pistol in .45, get a CZ-97b. I have one, and it shoots like a "race gun", for less than a Glock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back