Is Royal Purple worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Garak, the old API SL RP with Synerlec seemed as though it might be worth a premium, which was substantial as compared to almost any other syn. For RP money, one could have run Red Line and still could.

Certainly not up here.
wink.gif
Current RP at least has pricing in line with mainstream synthetics. RedLine is extraordinarily rare here and commands a substantial premium.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The API SN stuff just seems like nothing special, certainly not for the money.
I'm not anti-RP, I'm just being realistic and even the current nothing special API SN stuff is still premium priced.

I think RP has done what they had to do. SL to SN did require more significant changes than most blenders faced from SM to SN, obviously. RP's choices were limited. Either sell only stuff that isn't technically approved under the current API/ILSAC regime, or provide options for a certified oil and one with legacy levels of additives, without being a full blown race oil.

So now, RP has options that include a certified line, an HPS line, racing oil, and now a high mileage line. As for pricing, if someone wants the cheapest of the cheap, it's not going to be RP. What I said in the Amsoil vs. PU article applies. Walmart is not an authorized RP dealer and that's by RP's choice.

Totally different retail models will involve totally different pricing. RP's entire gross annual sales aren't even enough to change the McLaren's Mobil 1 logo to a Royal Purple logo.

RP now has a high mileage oil. With Synerlec. SL rated. Interesting. That may be worth trying in my Camaro. In about 2 years after I draw down my stash of PU. And if I see it at a good price.

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Is RP gonna be better than Amsoil SSO?

Depends on the formula. Both RP and Amsoil offer many different lines. You need to compare them accordingly.

Amsoil SSO would compare against RP HPS. Opinions on which is better will vary. You wouldn't compare RP API to Amsoil SSO though. That would be foolish as SSO would be better no question. RP API compares more to Amsoil OE and XL.

I find it somewhat amusing that when a person expresses their lack of enthusiasm or disinterest about Royal Purple they automatically become a "hater" of it. Thats the way political agendas and games are played.

For the average DD vehicle I don't know that RP offers any advantage over other better priced synthetics and in some cases reviews and test results would show it inferior to other top tier synthetics. For some people I think if they pay more they think they are getting a superior product.

go to amazon.com and you will find rp products getting 5 star reviews across all grades, SN, HPS. All verified purchases. I mean it is not "scientific" and based on voa, uoa, data sheets and spec comparisons of noack viscosity index etc etc.. but the oil has served all those people well.

I plan to go back to Royal Purple just because how well it served me when I was in Saskatchewan, Never had any starting problems even in -40 and it actually made my engine quieter, now that i moved to Toronto and tried a bunch of oils from sopus,TGMO etc..I kinda miss the the quietness it gave my car's engine. BTW I emailed RP asking for their HPS data sheet, got this: The pour point indicate a high quality base oil.

oUaffjp.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rikstaker
go to amazon.com and you will find rp products getting 5 star reviews across all grades, SN, HPS. All verified purchases. I plan to go back to Royal Purple just because how well it served me when I was in Saskatchewan, Never had any starting problems even in -40 and it actually made my engine quieter, now that i moved to Toronto and tried a bunch of oils from sopus,TGMO etc..I kinda miss the the quietness it gave my car's engine. BTW I emailed RP asking for their HPS data sheet, got this: The pour point indicate a high quality base oil.

I've used their API and currently using their 5w30 HPS.
I've used their products for years now,with no issues or regrets.

go to the forum link for amazon-- I got the HPS with synerlec for $42--6 qts.. plus a free RP filter...and I'll take the HPS over Ultra

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
go to amazon.com and you will find rp products getting 5 star reviews across all grades, SN, HPS. All verified purchases. I mean it is not "scientific" and based on voa, uoa, data sheets and spec comparisons of noack viscosity index etc etc.. but the oil has served all those people well.

I plan to go back to Royal Purple just because how well it served me when I was in Saskatchewan, Never had any starting problems even in -40 and it actually made my engine quieter, now that i moved to Toronto and tried a bunch of oils from sopus,TGMO etc..I kinda miss the the quietness it gave my car's engine. BTW I emailed RP asking for their HPS data sheet, got this: The pour point indicate a high quality base oil.

oUaffjp.jpg

I disagree about the higher quality base stocks. Due to the cold cranking viscosity RP HPS 5W20 is about 15-20% higher than Pennzoil Ultra, Amsoil SS, and Mobil One 5W20.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I disagree about the higher quality base stocks. Due to the cold cranking viscosity RP HPS 5W20 is about 15-20% higher than Pennzoil Ultra, Amsoil SS, and Mobil One 5W20.

Well, given that the sheet is for the HPS line, we should consider ourselves lucky that there are higher ZDDP oils for those who want them, without them automatically being a 10w-30 or a 20w-50 like VR1.
wink.gif
Fortunately, Quaker State had the sense to make a 5w-30 Defy, which is waiting on my shelf!

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: dave1251

Well, given that the sheet is for the HPS line, we should consider ourselves lucky that there are higher ZDDP oils for those who want them, without them automatically being a 10w-30 or a 20w-50 like VR1.
wink.gif
Fortunately, Quaker State had the sense to make a 5w-30 Defy, which is waiting on my shelf!

True. My response had nothing to due with additive package but rather a pour point claim that is either very generous from Royal Purple or 3 competitors are vastly understating the pour point performance of their respective product.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Right now I pay just under $39 for the TGMO and Fram Ultra.

That isn't worth it, either.

I disagree.

Is Royal Purple worth it? Yes, to the ones who love it. But not to me, I had been using various name brands syn and dino and could not tell any difference from 1 brand to another.

None of my cars had any oil related engine problems, including the 20 years old LS400 with 36x,xxx miles.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Someone just posted the Pep Boys ad and one of there deals is 5 quarts of Royal Purple AND a Royal Purple filter for $39.99, no doubt a great deal for Royal Purple. The question is, is this oil really worth it? I am currently running TGMO 0w20 and a Fram Ultra in the Accord, I like the combo. I wouldnt mind trying something different though. Anybody used Royal Purple, specifically in the 0w20 or 5w20 weights? Also, has anybody used the Royal Purple filters and had issues with those? Thanks! If it really is as great as some make it seem, I wouldnt mind paying a couple extra dollars and giving it a shot.

Sooooo,did you give it a shot or what?!
grin2.gif

I purchased 6-quarts of 5w30 HPS with synerlec for $42.01 & FREE Shipping,which includes the FREE Royal Purple oil filter.

where?!?!

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
I find it somewhat amusing that when a person expresses their lack of enthusiasm or disinterest about Royal Purple they automatically become a "hater" of it. Thats the way political agendas and games are played.

For the average DD vehicle I don't know that RP offers any advantage over other better priced synthetics and in some cases reviews and test results would show it inferior to other top tier synthetics. For some people I think if they pay more they think they are getting a superior product.

The games you speak of are played by the anti RP crowd and NOT the loyal users. No question about it. RP users on BITOG do not try and force our like of the product on to others. At most we might ask you actually use it before trashing it. Just once I would like to see an RP thread on BITOG not get ruined by the infantile "haters" who just have to try and bring it down. That will never happen here though.

What gets me and makes me respond is the WAY so many comment about RP and how so may clearly go out of their way at every chance to beat up on it. If you don't want to use it then don't. No one cares and no one is trying to make anyone use it. But, when people make it their life's mission to talk negatively about it in every thread that comes up, and especially when they haven't even used it, those of us who do get sick of it.

The whole price and color thing also gets really old fast. The claims of tons of bad UOA's with it are totally false but they continue on. It also seems that RP is held to a standard no other oil here is. RP can do no right by some. RP was bad because it was API SL and others had moved on to API SM/SN. Synerlec was touted as snake oil as well. When RP moves on to API SN suddenly it is average at best and the SL stuff was the good stuff and suddenly Synerlec is this amazing additive everyone misses. People here are always saying when RP is sold for the same price as PP/VVL/QS/M1 synthetics at Wal-Mart in 5 qt jugs they would use it but yet when a deal comes out where it is priced exactly like that they STILL say it is too much and then start comparing the cost of it to conventional oil in the 5qt jug prices.

BITOG as a whole is a very RP unfriendly place. There absolutely is a group with a bias and agenda here against RP that does a good job of creating a mob mentality against it. I have used it for decades with excellent results and while I could care less what other people use I get sick of being told my choice sucks.

If you have never used it there is no way you had bad results, or any results, with it actually. Saying it is bad or good, over priced, not as good as brand X, etc... is foolish. You have nothing to base that on but speculation if you haven't used it. I have never used Enos oil therefor I have no opinion as I have nothing to base that opinion on. If I were to chime in on an Enos thread with any kind of view that isn't very basic it is just hot air.

If RP costs too much for you then don't use it. Very simple. Value is determined by the user so for others it may not be too expensive( and again, for the millionth time, RP is priced the same as the name brand synthetics in qt bottles and can be had for the same or even less than WM 5qt jug synthetic prices on sale ). Having to chime in and say you won't use it because of cost, or color, or what someone else supposedly said brings nothing to the discussion of value. All it does is tick off those who do use it and like it. Of course for some that is their goal.

I apologize for the novel here but why people can't see why RP users get upset on this site baffles me almost as much as the anti RP feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back