Is Royal Purple top quality or snake oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No insult intended but vehicle specific forums offer up both views of RP products. This forum however doesn't base all analysis on conjecture. I've always used major petro producers products because of thier R&D budgets. Maybe its time to learn the truth about these highly marketed products from specialty suppliers.

some have good results, most dont.

All the uoa's i have seen on here and hear from people=
Over priced, Marginal at best performer

Lubrication Engineers has some very good oil products;

http://www.lubeng.com/

Contact info for the LE distributor in Calgary is Motion Industries;

403 236-5581

Ask for Jay Benko if he hasn't retired yet, and he'll give you the straight story.

I had an uncle who drove Kenworths and Peterbuilts most of his life who wouldn't run any other in his work trucks and personal pickups and cars for about 40 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CanuckBob
I'd say neither.

Near as I can tell, it's a perfectly decent synthetic oil.

It's major shortcoming is in its stupendous marketing claims. Some folks become true believers and tout its alleged benefits with religous fervor. Others feel snookered when RP is found not to be so miraculous after all and consequently get embittered. And still others, while not embittered, just enjoy tweaking the zealots.

Zealot tweaking is fun if your of the slightly twisted nature like myself.

I am researching them for thier Manual Tranny Fluid but thought engine oil performance would reveal the best real world test of thier product.

When I was getting it at a big discount, we ran it often (oil/tranny/rear end), in our police vehicles. Never lost an engine/transmission that I know of.

I don't think it's snake oil, but just like most anything, don't believe all the hype, either.
19.gif

RP makes excellent products. They make no greater number of marketing claims than any other mfg out there. They all do it.

I used their Synchromax in my Dodge Cummins G56 six speed manual. Cleaned up my shifts, previously the manual had always called for atf. Which I never quite like the idea of...atf in a manual transmission.

Come back here in a year or two. RP may become favorite oil on this board who knows. Remember the days when M1 was number one and Pennzoil synthetic was just ok till the day when Terry told that it’s one of the best brews you can buy and formulation similar to GC… Chances your engine will outlast the rest of the car using RP only.

I've used it as well and never had a problem with it. I think it's a good oil with great marketing. Use whatever you want to use, if you decide RP, use with confidence, also have confidence in any oil out there really.

I've seen one post on here of someone saying RP destroyed their motor, which is totally B.S., I would just try it out for yourself.

Last edited:
There are better for the same price, Redline and Amsoil come to mind. There are better for cheaper, PP comes to mind. I'd rather use conventional Halvoline than RP just based on the UOAs I've seen from RP. Most are not that great.

Originally Posted By: cfromc
There are better for the same price, Redline and Amsoil come to mind. There are better for cheaper, PP comes to mind. I'd rather use conventional Halvoline than RP just based on the UOAs I've seen from RP. Most are not that great.

I kind of agree. There is nothing wrong with RP. Snake oil is strong word. Like Redline, they might be known more for their unique racing oil viscosities like 0w5 etc.

Most PCMO's are very similar IMO.

UOA numbers useful for preventing engine self destruction in a early stage due to unfortunate incident, contaminations or failure diagnostic.. I’ve seen outstanding uoa with a chipo supertech dino and horrible ones with top tier oils. You may see single digit FE in your oil analyze reports but visual inspection reveal excessive metal wear / pistons carbon buildup when engine torn down. At the same time not so popular oil in a terms of UOA leaves the engine whistle clean and nearly wear free. In other words having good oil report does not always mean your engine living happy life. End of story.

Quote:
You may see single digit FE in your oil analyze reports but visual inspection reveal excessive metal wear / pistons carbon buildup when engine torn down. At the same time not so popular oil in a terms of UOA leaves the engine whistle clean and nearly wear free. In other words having good oil report does not always mean your engine living happy life. End of story.

Been told the same by many. That is why I can live, for now, with Mobil 1's Fe #'s. I'm not all that concerned. The Valvoline ad does have me wondering though.

I believe it is nothing more than a Group III oil, I would not call it a snake oil, but they have fantastic marketing and advertising. I knew 2 guys with the same transmissions and 1 used Royal Purple ATF and got 256,000 miles out of the trans before a rebuild and the other 1 used Amsoil ATF and got 413,000 miles out of the trans before a rebuild. Is it top quality, NO, I would call Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum top quality, followed by Mobil 1, and then Redline.

I'd use it in a transmission or rear end before a motor.

Their racing products are substance that gives the street products marketing.

As long as G-member is not around here the RP reputation slowly but surely will be improved
grin2.gif

Quote:

I thought RP is made from snake oils thats how you get the purple color and why its so expensive.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
I would not call it snakeoil but it is not top notch either!! Their stuff gets itteeth kicked in all the time buy far cheaper products or rducts that have been aroun onger and are in the sae price range. Mobil-1,Amsoil,Redline,NEO,Motul 300V,Torco,VP,Penrite and many others all have prducts that are better and some of those companies have annire line-up of produ that all beat RP's productline up. RP is at best an average productbut through smrt marketing hs postioned t'sproduct as bein better then it really is and nowmost people think tattis a premium product wheninfact it is not i performance is what you arelokig at. Lab test's combind with product sage and othr's suge and UOA combind tells the tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back