Is Mobil making Mobil-1 5W-30 Extended Performance anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It figures now that I'm getting close to probably my last run of Mobil-1 5W-30 Extended Performance (at least for a while), that Walmart doesn't stock it at all - specifically, but including single quarts also, the 5 qt. jugs.

Tomorrow night I'll go around and check other auto stores, but this is worrying me a little...

Anyone know if Mobil had a problem with their 5W-30 EP line or something?

Chuck

There's plenty of 5w30 and 10w30 EP at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts in Cincy.

WallyMart only had "regular" M-1 5w30 and 10w30, and 15w50 EP.

Cool...at least it still is existing somewhere in quantities...

Al- Looking at VOA's of regular Mobil-1 SM GF-4 rated vs. EP SL rated Mobil-1, the EP stuff has more P and Zn I believe...in addition to more SuperSyn...so, for whatever it's worth, the EP has more anti-wear additives in it. The price difference is really neglidgable over the 5,000 mile OCI's I've been running.

Here, O'Fallon, IL area Walmart's, we've got Mobil-1 regular in everything, and Mobil-1 EP in 10W-30 and 15W-50...but, no Mobil-1 5W-30 EP in anything.

Like I said above...tomorrow, I'll drop on by AutoZone, Advanced, and O'Rielly's to see what they've got.

Chuck

running regular mobil 1 is overkill for 5k oci. I've been reading many many posts about mobil 1 shortage at walmart. Walmart isn't the only place in town that sells Mobil 1.
rolleyes.gif

Walmart manager told me two things re: Hardly ANY brand of oil on the shelves here in Texas.

1.) Katrina
2.) When oil does arrive, they are getting bought out in LARGE quantities.

I was looking for my trusted MC 5W20.. all MC gone except 10W40. I was told that the same guys always come in and clean out the MC every chance they get.

The Mobil shelves for the 5qt jugs?
Always empty.

Probably Guys from quick lube places or local shops or some sort of business...
Couple weeks ago was in Walmart and lady was stocking the shelves with oil, and there was plenty, just very little Mobil and no selection in M 5 qts. But she was stocking with Havoline and some others, Supertech 5-40 was all gone too... but this should be temporary, sounds like a lot more people are doing some oil hoarding as well. Me I just slowly built up a good supply over a longer term as most here.

Cutehumor- I know, but I'm limited to 5,000 mile OCI's by my warranty...
frown.gif

If this is Katrina related, it's interesting that the problem is just affecting me here now, instead of soon after Katrina hit.
dunno.gif

Chuck

chucky2, the reason why its affecting you now is due to inventories running out. Imagine a bank certain amount of inflows and outflows... if you change the inflows, then at some point, the outflow is going to be effected since the bank doesn't have as much to hand out... I dunno why I explained that in ecomonic style terms but its 3am and I'm really bored.

My store still has it. The 15w50 we've been short on for some reason, though. Could just be a really low maxi, that isn't an incredibly popular weight.

JeepZJ4.0- Actually, that made perfect sense!
patriot.gif

I didn't get a chance to go look, and might not until Thursday or Friday...hopefully the inventory is building back up now in stores instead of getting worse.

Worse case though, I'll skip the Mobil-1 Extended Performance filter test I was going to do with the same oil I'm running now (thus, only changing one variable), and start using another synthetic oil, such as some German Castrol (if I can find that), Redline (I know I can find that), or Amsoil.

Either way, something will change from my regular Mobil-1 EP and Motorcraft FL-820S runs the next time I change my oil...

Chuck

I spoke with Matt yesterday from the XOM, thru the toll-free 800#. He said that several grades of M1 are being affected due to Katrina, and 5w-30 is one of 'em.

Although he wouldn't mention what, he said that they are lacking "something" that is preventing them from producing more M1 EP 5w-30 until Jan 1. After Jan 1, there shouldn't be any supply problems with M1 EP 5w-30.

I noticed the same as well. When I was at Wally's Tuesday to buy oil, there was only M1 10w-30 and M1 EP 10w-30 avaliable. I bought the EP 10w-30 for $25.96.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back