Is it necessary to pull door panels to install window tint?

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I would like to have the front windows of my Jeep tinted. Is it necessary for the installer to remove the door panels? In BITOG fashion, I'm concerned about broken clips or other damage since I know they can be a bear to get off sometimes.

I’ve never seen anyone do that. I know people who do that stuff they never pull panels especially if they use the stick on stuff. Usually they just spray it down.

Installer preference. The guy who tinted my truck pulled the panels.

The shop that tinted my Prius did not, but they also cut the tint a bit short towards the bottom. I think pulling the panels allows for a cleaner install since you are less likely to get contamination towards the bottom. If the seals are tight, tucking can be more challenging.

Generally speaking, no. Some vehicles might require it due to weird design choices in the window gaskets or even the shape of the glass. You can certainly ask the installer if they will be doing it, and also ask them if they have ever tinted your specific car before. Like clear bra, every car has little tricks and nuances that the installers will need to know for the best result.

I pulled the door panels on the Laser, because I know they tuck seals, and at 35 years old, they're likely to break. They had all the room in the world to work yet they were stingy with the tint and the line is actually above where the seal hits the glass on the inside. Thankfully the exterior seals are taller.

I would like to have the front windows of my Jeep tinted. Is it necessary for the installer to remove the door panels? In BITOG fashion, I'm concerned about broken clips or other damage since I know they can be a bear to get off sometimes.
The installer I use does not pull the panels. Last one I had done was the driver/passenger side windows on our 19 Wrangler.
IMG_1582.jpeg

Installer preference. The guy who tinted my truck pulled the panels.

The shop that tinted my Prius did not, but they also cut the tint a bit short towards the bottom. I think pulling the panels allows for a cleaner install since you are less likely to get contamination towards the bottom. If the seals are tight, tucking can be more challenging.
when I’ve done my own, I’ve had an easier time keeping the bottom free of dirt by pulling the panels.

In general, installers that take the time to pull the panels end up with a cleaner job. There are some that can push the tint down behind the rubber, but it is almost impossible to clean properly along that edge and you end up not being able to squeegee behind it properly. You want the lower edge of the tint to be below the molding, else you run into a situation where it could snag when you're winding the window down and pull it off. Also, the lower molding is almost always made with 'fuzz' on it and even a few little specks of it will suck up behind the tint and show up when it dries.

If it's a fairly new car, and a good shop, I wouldn't worry about the panels being pulled. They've done enough of your car to know how to properly remove them.

If it's an older car, its possible that some of the clips could break, but most shops stock replacement clips for just that ocassion.

I worked for a local shop for many years, not in a tinting role but doing electronics work. I've watched the owner tint 1000's of cars over the years, helped with a few, but it's certainly not something I'd ever attempt to do on my own. So I'll stick with watch and learn.

Last edited:
Back