Is anybody going to use the microguard filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just curious as to how many people are going to actually use the microguard filter in the now famous "O'Rielly oil change special"? I'm getting some free ones from my brother so I'm using them.

Last edited:
i'm running a microgard in my integra gsr right now, at about 3500 miles into a 7500 mile interval. no problems. it's just a fram with black paint and no grip tape.

I plan to exchange them (FL-820s is only $0.59 more), but I am going to wait a little while after the sale to do it so that it is not quite so obvious
whistle.gif

Absolutely I am going to use it. I've posted before a MG16 that looked fine. I bought a ton of the MG8316's -- they have a "clean side" ADBV and are recommended for the Zetec. Will post a picture once I've run them 5k miles or more!

picked up 2 jugs today, the filters will be used for target practice. They are easier to see when they are orange, but i will ventilate them soon.

I'll probably use them on my dad's beater Saturn and maybe my mom's Accord but the rest I'll try to exchange later.

Compared to the RP filters I picked up today, they feel so light.

Those things are going on my 1999 Subaru. At those prices, I got 4 filters, 4 jugs. (Not using the same mailing address for both).

Thought about it today when I picked up 10 qts and 2 filters...Probably use them...

Probably will use the 2 that I am going to pick up tomorrow as well.....

Microguard cartridge filter, especially the ones made in USA, is very good quality. The one made in Korea is a little lesser quality, but still good for reasonable OCI's. But the latest batches are made in China and it is lower quality than Korean.

I plan on using them for a flush cycle. I have some cheapo convention oil that I will run for 500 to 1000 miles while running heavy doses of fuel system/carbon cleaner. I also plan on using SeaFoam to clean the carbon out of my cylinders.

Has anyone on this board actually had a Fram oil filter fail in a normal OCI?

I am not talking about "I heard about" or "I know of" or "a friend".

I want to know of anyone that has used one themselves that failed in normal use during a normal OCI.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: motorguy222

The closest I've had is this PH16. It didn't "fail" in the sense that the engine didn't blow up. It did, however, not seal tightly on the dome end, (probably) allowing some unfiltered oil through. There was likely something else going on with the vehicle, but I posted another filter cut open on the vehicle's next OCI which didn't look as bad.

Cut open many more - mainly the PH5343 and the PH8316. Neither of them have had any troubles, even with the 10k mile OCI on the PH5343. Looks great, in fact. Some speculate the larger Frams have more trouble than the smaller ones.

The question is - how do you know if your filter is warping like the Durango's filter was? I cut mine open every time, so I'm fairly confident with Frams in some of my vehicles. Would never run a Fram in that Durango again, though (at least not the Extra Guard and Tough Guards).

Originally Posted By: ABerns
motorguy222 said:

Cut open many more - mainly the PH5343 and the PH8316. Neither of them have had any troubles, even with the 10k mile OCI on the PH5343. Looks great, in fact. Some speculate the larger Frams have more trouble than the smaller ones.

I use to run PH8's in my 1980 and 1989 F-150's 4.9 L6's. I never had a complete failure but multiple times I would find the filter "swelled up" looking like it was ready to blow. I changed them out immediately. Never had this with equivalent Mototcraft filters. Thank goodness with that engine the filters were in plain sight, horizontally on the drivers side. But I always had dry starts with the Fram's, horrible in the winter. Again, never had that with the Motorcraft filters.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: ABerns
The closest I've had is this PH16. It didn't "fail" in the sense that the engine didn't blow up. It did, however, not seal tightly on the dome end, (probably) allowing some unfiltered oil through. There was likely something else going on with the vehicle, but I posted another filter cut open on the vehicle's next OCI which didn't look as bad.

The question is - how do you know if your filter is warping like the Durango's filter was? I cut mine open every time, so I'm fairly confident with Frams in some of my vehicles. Would never run a Fram in that Durango again, though (at least not the Extra Guard and Tough Guards).

The PH16 filter was on the Durango for how long?

The maintenance may have been less than what it should have been.

I am not saying that Frams are the best but are they as bad as some say?

I will use the cartridge filters that I got, on my GF's car.

For my car I have oem filters, a whole box of them I got off of eBay a while back.

I have never purchased a microguard, but I received several with my Mobil5000 deal. I have investigated them closely and they appear to be built pretty darn well.

My take on them is.....they are probably just fine for 5-8k OCI's. I wouldn't use them for extended OCI's...but for 5-8k...I think they will be just fine.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222

The PH16 filter was on the Durango for how long?

At most a year and a half. But yes, I suspect something else was going on - in fact, I was worried about a bad head gasket - still am, but the last filter looked better. It saw lots of short trips in all kinds of weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back