Is Amsoil business structure similiar to Amway??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed my first order for Amsoil products with one of the site sponsors. The order was submitted on Monday for a case of 5W-20 XL and some 75W-90. I received it the next day via UPS. I was very satisfied with the turn around time.

Why would amsoil allow their oil to be sold by dealers and by Canadian Tire up here? Canadian tire is no ma and pop store, its a huge and powerful company. I see people buying amsoil all the time in Canadian tire at the ridiculous price of $12/litre. You'd think the dealers would be ticked off by this.

I enjoy the free market and all of it's benefits.

I do however get very upset when a nice forum of intellgent folks turns into an Amsoil sales pitch and commercial.

Guys, that is one of the only bad things I can find here at BITOG. And those who think I'm imagining this, are simply in Amsoil denial.
(it really does get sickening after awhile)

Oh and...try to do some legitimate searches on the internet without being bombarded by busche league Amsoil dist. websites flooding the net with quality propaganda.
dunno.gif

I don't know or care much about Amsoil's business. All I know is that I buy oil and filter for my friend's Honda from Pablo, and it's good stuff, and he's a good guy.

The popularity of something is market driven anyway. It seems that any business established in 1972 and still growing must have good marketing skills combined with product quality nothwithstanding the bias aginst the marketing plan.

Quote:

I do however get very upset when a nice forum of intellgent folks turns into an Amsoil sales pitch and commercial.

These forums are nothing but commercials for every oil product out there. Auto RX, Mobil, Castol to name a few others are mentioned all the time. And where to buy at the best price is all over the threads.

If you don't like it, make ever brand name a dirty word and we won't every see Mobil, Amsoil, AutoRX anymore, just @#$%^&*.

Vitamins – I suppose there is a healthy mark-up. I have bought a few of them (never sold any), and the ones I bought were of decent quality when comparing ingredients. The decision like most all stems from Al.

Mother’s – Amsoil has had some exterior car care products over the years. Is Mother’s a good fit? Time will tell. I personally don’t think it’s a good idea, but……

Wipers – cool! Glad we dumped Bosch

Plugs – woohoo – NGK, glad we got ‘em!!! Glad we dumped Bosch!!!

BITOG an Amsoilfest? I guess, but mostly not. More of an AutoRxfest or Castrol GCfest, or MCfest. Seems like someone views these things with special glasses. Sure there are three Amsoil sponsors here, and I post like a elf with the runs, but not all my post are Amsoil advice, and last time I checked other oils are welcome to have paying site sponsors as well.

Canadian Tire – they were grandfathered in under the new agreement on the number of store in a chain. Sure Amsoil is sold in some small chains.

Amsoil in web searches. If you don’t want sites with Amsoil in Google just do a –Amsoil search.

Quote:

Quote:

These forums are nothing but commercials for every oil product out there. Auto RX, Mobil, Castol to name a few others are mentioned all the time. And where to buy at the best price is all over the threads.

If you don't like it, make ever brand name a dirty word and we won't every see Mobil, Amsoil, AutoRX anymore, just @#$%^&*.

This is true but Mobil, ARX, Castrol etc don't have people come here and reccomend their product in every thread where someone asks which oil would be best. If people do reccomend these products, they don't see any financial gain if the person follows their suggestion. I think that is what jaybird means.

Warlord,
a few years ago, the M1 crowd (including me) were recommending it for everything from chaffed elbows to piles. Mobil changed their formulation (apparently), and it stopped. GC proponents were pushing their wares for a while too.

As to your assertion that Amsoil is pushed heavily on the board, I just don't see it.

Check out the motorcycle section. I'm not saying I'm anti-amsoil I was simply trying to explain what I think Jaybird is feeling. Did M1 pay you when your reccomendations were followed?

I sell Cooper tires, Champ oil filters, Anco wipers, and a few other product lines I believe in. Since I have had very good results selling these brands I occasionally will reccomend one of them when someone asks. Am not set up for net sales or mailorder, so I'm not trying to gain personal profit. If you don't want to read my opinions,,,skip my posts or the threads asking for specific recomendations.

Pabs has allways seemed more the devout believer that a greedy ,unscrupulous,profit driven, capitalist pig to me
laugh.gif

Never been a big fan of synthetic oils, because most people are tired of their ride and let it run down (or rust out)long before the engine gives way, seem a bit of overkill to me.

How else would Amsoil market their product without big time advertising, that usually causes quality cuts to pay for?

Bob

"All I know is that I buy oil and filter for my friend's Honda from Pablo, and it's good stuff, and he's a good guy."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Pablo, send Mark his check. He can use the money.
laugh.gif

Quote:

"But vitamins..??.. Just seems like a strange marketing plan".

Those are for strength in loosening your oil drain plug. See, they're a related product!
laugh.gif

John

It does seem strange until you know Al Amatuzio personally and can see that he himself is a big believer in vitamins and health. I don't know many 80 something year olds that you shake their hand and they have a grip like Mr. Amatuzio. Also if you happen to be able to get a picture with him and put your arm around his waste, there is strength there.

I firmly believe he has the vitamin and water filter line there for dealers who want to take advantage of a superior product at a "reduced" price. I take the vitamins, and use the water filter, why not I get a 50% discount off of any quality "retail" priced vitamins (like from GNC or what ever) not counting stuff like centrium or what not.

The Organic fertilizer line was started as another company and not in the MLM line, I guess dealers got wind of it, wanted to try it so it was added in.

I really believe, expanding a product line, for those that have different "interests" or tastes is perfectly acceptable maybe there are some out there that feel comfortable selling vitamins or what have you. I don't focus on it myself.

Just thought I would explain the reasoning behind that line.

I have friends and co workers into the MLM thing, yes even a-oil. Can't place the exact years but there was a period when the MLM's discovered consumables with auto re-ordering off a credit card was the profitable way to go. So they all scrambled to find some kind of consumable to market. Many went with vitamins or health products, I'm sure Mr. A-oil jumped on the same bandwagon.

I stock up on some a-oil products from time to time when GI Joes has there "all synthetic oil for 3.99" sales.

Coming in late here...

Quote:

BITOG an Amsoilfest? I guess, but mostly not. More of an AutoRxfest or Castrol GCfest, or MCfest. Seems like someone views these things with special glasses. Sure there are three Amsoil sponsors here, and I post like a elf with the runs, but not all my post are Amsoil advice, and last time I checked other oils are welcome to have paying site sponsors as well.

I don't see it, myself. Pablo does a pretty decent job without getting overly defensive or over zealous. Michael and Pablo took it on the chin more than a few times in the Amsoil bashing.
dunno.gif
Me, I just do what I always have done. If I don't think an Amsoil product will serve a given person in a beneficial manner, I won't recommend it. I have the disadvantage of not using too many of the lubrication products, but have decent experience in their filtration line.

All any Amsoil dealer can deliver to the customer is service. We don't make the products..nor do we price them. The products stand on their own two feet without any hype or hoopla ...and they don't make sense for everyone.
dunno.gif

As far as a business goes, I can't say enough about Amsoil (although I say very little unless asked). This is by far the most "no brainer" businesses you can ask for as "a way in". There's no get rich quick scheme, and you pay for what you get, but the support service is outstanding. The backing you get in accounting and administration is great. All you have to do is plug away, slow and steady, and you'll watch it grow and turn into a decent gig. Naturally, developing a good network is all part of it.

Amway had some nice products. They got consumed by successful members who figured out that they could make more money having minions flock to their rallies and buy their motivational books and tapes than they could developing sound retail sales. They sold hollow hype and destroyed the reputation of the company in doing so. It became a "cult".

Amsoil is not like that. They appear to have maintained decent control of the sales organization ..at least to the point that the leadership doesn't get a life of its own outside of their guidelines. Now sure, an upper line dealer/jobber is going to attempt to motivate his down line organization..but he gets absolutely NOTHING out of it unless the products move down the line and others are benefiting right there with him.

Reasons I like Amsoil:

1. Excellent quality oils. (old air filters blew)
2. Great customer service. Friendly.
3. Industry firsts/more eco friendly

Reasons I dislike Amsoil:

1. Dealers that have lied to me.
2. Exaggerated claims. (4ball wear test)

Amsoil has to compete through the dealer network. I don't think they could be successful selling their oil at Walmart. Generally those folks want the cheapest oil available, not the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back