Is AFM Always A Bad Thing On GM?

I hear a lot of problems with regards to AFM.
I have been looking for used Suburbans and most that are over 2007, seem to have the AFM.
I don't want to buy a problem and don't want to get into redoing cams.
Is the AFM a time bomb, or can they be dependable?
My wife doesn't want an older Suburban, but I find them to be pretty dependable, at least with my 2003.

I'm not an expert, but what I've concluded from annecdotal evidence on this website is that GM got it sorted out on 2014 and newer models. I have 89k miles on my 2016 Sierra, haven't experienced any problems to date.

I'm not an expert, but what I've concluded from annecdotal evidence on this website is that GM got it sorted out on 2014 and newer models. I have 89k miles on my 2016 Sierra, haven't experienced any problems to date.

Quite a few problems on DFM engines as well.

I'm shopping for a young family member now and there's an '08 and an '11 Yukon she might like but I have the same fears.

Just disable AFM. Yes, AFM is a problem, not nearly as reliable as Chrysler's MDS.

We already had a new thread on this - regardless - decided to check in on an engineer I worked with in 2021:
His 2015 5.3L has had zero issues - the AFM is still active at 160k …
(still on Mobil 1 0W20) …

I hear a lot of problems with regards to AFM.
I have been looking for used Suburbans and most that are over 2007, seem to have the AFM.
I don't want to buy a problem and don't want to get into redoing cams.
Is the AFM a time bomb, or can they be dependable?
My wife doesn't want an older Suburban, but I find them to be pretty dependable, at least with my 2003.
You can shut it off with a plug in …

My 2016 5.3 Tahoe still has the AFM enabled.. Just turned 148K miles tonight.. So far no issues with AFM..
This Tahoe is one of the best vehicles I ever owned.

Use Mobil 1 0w20 EP and sometimes 0w20 AC Delco if the dealer services it as they do not carry Mobil 1. Change out every 5-6K miles. I do a mix of highway and NYC gridlock.

Last edited:
My 2016 5.3 Tahoe still has the AFM enabled.. Just turned 148K miles tonight.. So far no issues with AFM..
This Tahoe is one of the best vehicles I ever owned.

Use Mobil 1 0w20 EP and sometimes 0w20 AC Delco if the dealer services it as they do not carry Mobil 1. Change out every 5-6K miles. I do a mix of highway and NYC gridlock.
This is what causes issues with AFM DOD. Going over 5,000 mile OCI. I have seen engines that were well maintained with 400,000 plus miles no issues. The ones I saw messed up was people who neglected oil changes, then the lifter filter gets plugged, then the metal to metal starts with the lifter springs and tears them up. Reminds me of CP4 failure which is another operator error.

Back