Iron-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

This is a product that has always pegged my curiosity. The purpose of the product is to chemically remove iron particles that are trapped inside/below the clearcoat. These are particles that are not removable by a clay bar or by regular washing.

Now, there's no question that this product works. My question is rather, why is the treatment needed?

A number of vehicle manufacturers specify the use of Valugard's ABC Paint Decontamination system if there are contamination issues...usually ones that arise from initial vehicle transport.

Clearly, iron particles do exist and they do indeed get trapped in the clearcoat...but what's the harm? Of course, Iron-X claims that these particles will eventually accelerate clearcoat degradation.

I have a feeling that the necessity of this service is comparable to a power steering flush. - never required, questionable benefit, but is still good preventive maint.

Thoughts?

At the end of the day what actual benefit does even a clay bar contribute? We've all seen vehicles that have had nothing but hand washes for their lifetime and they still look great.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
At the end of the day what actual benefit does even a clay bar contribute? We've all seen vehicles that have had nothing but hand washes for their lifetime and they still look great.

I feel the same way.
I wash my cars when needed and wax/polish with whatever I have about twice a year.
Sometimes I'll wax the topside an extra time in summer and the bottom part an extra time in winter. To spend hours detailing a car is a waste of time, IMO....

PS: I normally use Nu-Finish, Turtle-Wax, Simonize etc...

Have you ever washed a decently clean window? Now try to dry it. Dries Pretty easily right?

Now Do the same for a contaminated body water just smears around right?

Now Clay it, it now dries like the window does and wax will last a lot longer on it, easier to clean..etc

On some colors it makes the finish look better.

Last edited:
When i see how dirty a clay bar gets after washing...thats my incentive to use it. The paint feels smooth and it removes the tar and rubber ingrained in the paint that washing wont. I like using it.

I have never heard of iron x.. sounds a bit obsessive but im curious to see what it does. Why dont u try it and let us know what you think?

Last edited:
Quote:
The purpose of the product is to chemically remove iron particles that are trapped inside/below the clearcoat.
Anybody wants to shed light on it? My rational mind is not getting it.

One of the best detailers I know of uses it on every car they do. White colors seem to be the worst offenders followed by silver. It's similiar to Sonax wheel cleaner which reacts with the metal particles on the surface. It removes rail dust which is really bad in the rust belt areas. I'll see if I can find a link to one of Detailers Domain's write ups using the product. I think now they use a different product but is used for the same purpose. After using the product is when you clay the surface.

Iron-X has a paste version which is the strongest followed by the spray which is the most convenient. Don't use the Iron-X soap since it's worthless. I was given a credit for it on autogeek. Had no reaction at all.

Found a write up:

http://www.detailersdomain.net/2013/07/22/a-much-needed-clean-up-on-this-2010-audi-s4/

Last edited:
I've used Iron-X before on an Audi that had wheels that were stained from iron particles embedded in them that caused the wheels to look brown. The staining was gone after the Iron-X. The only thing I'd warn anyone who is planning on using this product is do it in a well ventilated area because it stinks pretty bad. It's not a product I'd use every time I clean my car, maybe once or trice a year depending on the contamination. It's easier to notice on a light colored car, the iron particles begin to rust after being embedded in the paint and cause little brown spots on the paint.

I ordered the Iron-X paste. Will report back with my findings in the next few weeks.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I ordered the Iron-X paste. Will report back with my findings in the next few weeks.

Nice!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
what does this remove? existing wax/polish along with the iron? and how safe is it for clear coats, I wonder...

"IronX opens up the paint's pores to release ferrous particles and to neutralize caustic compounds that have developed in the paint's subsurface. Ongoing damage is immediately stopped and future damage is prevented by removing the ferrous particles."

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...t-finishes.html
http://www.carpro-us.com/iron-x-500ml/

Wonder if it is the same as Iron Out available most evrywhere for removing iron stains from stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back