Iraq Civil War ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The war against Iraq was brilliant. But in all honesty I do not believe that the aftermath after the war was well thought out.

I certainly hope that democracy triumphs in Iraq. If the Sunnis and the Kurds were thoughtful I think they would realize that democracy certainly would benefit them. The Shiites could conquer the country if they wanted to after the Americans and other forces are gone.

Democracy would be best. If the Shiites take over and form an Islamic state, I don't know if that Islamic state would be close with the Iranians or not. They have different languages and different cultures. In Iran today there are a lot of people (probably the majority of the population) who would prefer a more moderate government.

Does anyone think Rumy and the Pentagon thought out the post-Iraq strategy well enough?

Trying to get 4 different religous groups/sects to coexist and impose democracy on them is one big, ballsy move....and if it don't pan out, this could be one big @ss mistake.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Does anyone think Rumy and the Pentagon thought out the post-Iraq strategy well enough?

Trying to get 4 different religous groups/sects to coexist and impose democracy on them is one big, ballsy move....and if it don't pan out, this could be one big @ss mistake.

Iraq is an artificial construct by the Brits without any thought to these issues. It seems likely the country will fragment into ethnic groups now that the things that held them together have been removed.

The ballsy move would be to admit that, and work the new government around it. 3 or 4 "states" anyone?

Well-thought out? The secretary of defense and the commanders of the armed forces fought at every turn about plans, etc. It could have been worse, but it wasn't the planning that saved us. it was the fact that we had cruise missles and they don't.

One day (hopefully in the far-flung future) we're going to face an enemy who CAN take out a cruiser sailing 50 miles off the coast. When that day comes, we in trouble.

Pew Research Center nationwide poll reported in the papers on April 6th:

Bush's Overall Job Rating
43% approve
47% dissaprove

Bush's Handling of Iraq
40% approve
53% dissaprove

Any worse, and Bush's overall approval ratings will drop into the 30's!!! The toilet bowl water is swirling faster and faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back