iPhone 3GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't bad but I think you'd be negating your first complaint... small screen and to put the cherry on top, low res.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
I gave up the iPhone. I didnt like it.

confused2.gif

Oh yeah, we missed you.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
I gave up the iPhone. I didnt like it.

confused2.gif

Oh yeah, we missed you.
lol.gif

The iPhone sucks but I have Volvos to fix.

Get a flip phone.

You don't need a smartphone to fix your cars. We really don't need to see all the pics and videos you take with your phone.

Not going to touch the other items..

I use a 3GS everyday for work. It's a nice phone but dated. With iOS6, it has some nice features, but it still doesn't do everything that a 4S or 5 will do with the exact same OS. I haven't looked up if iOS7 will be available for the 3GS, but I suspect it won't.

It is a small screen, but all iPhones are (the 5 screen is a little bigger), compared to my personal Note 2. I have had zero fatal problems with my phone in the 3.5 years I've had it. It's a computer and like most computers most problems are fixed by a reboot or wiping and starting over. I've only had to wipe it once. I have put a new battery in it, which is cheap from ifixit.com and disassembly isn't horrible, just have to be careful. Most parts for a 3GS can be bought from ifixit, so even if someone claims a button doesn't work of the screen is broke, it can be fixed through ifixit for parts and fixing it yourself.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Not going to touch the other items..

I use a 3GS everyday for work. It's a nice phone but dated. With iOS6, it has some nice features, but it still doesn't do everything that a 4S or 5 will do with the exact same OS. I haven't looked up if iOS7 will be available for the 3GS, but I suspect it won't.

It is a small screen, but all iPhones are (the 5 screen is a little bigger), compared to my personal Note 2. I have had zero fatal problems with my phone in the 3.5 years I've had it. It's a computer and like most computers most problems are fixed by a reboot or wiping and starting over. I've only had to wipe it once. I have put a new battery in it, which is cheap from ifixit.com and disassembly isn't horrible, just have to be careful. Most parts for a 3GS can be bought from ifixit, so even if someone claims a button doesn't work of the screen is broke, it can be fixed through ifixit for parts and fixing it yourself.

^^^ FTW!!!

To be honest for what you pay for a 3gs you can probably get a used Android phone that's two years newer. What does a galaxy S2 go for on craigslist? Hundred bucks?

The only benefit to the 3gs is the parts are cheap on ebay and they are easy to work on. I've probably done 10 screens and three or four dock/speaker assemblies, and a new screen is under 20 bucks now.

Just looked it up, the 3GS won't get iOS7 and I suspect they will stop providing software updates for it. It's an old device.

However, no reason why it won't continue work on the cellular network.

I'd skip on the old 3GS and at least get a 4S but even that looks and feels dated compared to my iphone 5.

The sold my 4S from Sprint on ebay recently for $370 but completed listings shows lots of them selling in the low to mid $200 range.

Depends on what do you want to do with it.

It is a dated phone (5 years old?) and it is not going to compare to the newer one, and you probably won't be able to run the newer apps that need newer OS or hardware.

But, IMO (probably biased) iPhone tends to be better build and that generation has very good quality compare to that generation and a gen or 2 later Samsung phones.

I'd say if you get it for less than $50 it is a good deal, otherwise you should probably buy something newer iPhone or Android.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What do you do for service with these phones?

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Buy a brand new unlocked Nexus 4 straight from Google for $249 and call it done. https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb

Mine arrives tomorrow.

You can take it to an appropriate carrier, VZW for the CDMA version, AT&T for the GSM version and start service.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What do you do for service with these phones?

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Buy a brand new unlocked Nexus 4 straight from Google for $249 and call it done. https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb

Mine arrives tomorrow.

I use T-mobile prepaid: 100 minutes of talk, plus unlimited text, and 5GB of 4G data for $30. Any prepaid or postpaid GSM carrier will work. I've read that LTE requires some modification, but 3G/4G for both AT&T and T-mobile will work fine as long as you're in a service area.

All I'll have to do when the phone arrives is cut down the SIM card from my Galaxy Exhibit (full-size to micro), insert it in the phone, sign in to my google account, and reload my apps & data.

iPhone 4S or newer only. iPhone 3GS aren't bad. Still have one that has been decomissioned to MP3 player status. The antennas are the bad part.

For the $$, look for a used LG Optimus G for around $200. Very good reviews on this phone (thank you to a fellow BITOG'er for pointing out this phone).

If you can use Sprint networks in your area, go to Ting.com, and don't look back, no contracts, excellent service, only pay for what you use.

Be happy!
happy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back