IOS7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But are you pining for the fjords?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
This is the first phone I've owned where I'm not pining for an opportunity to get something else.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
My son works for a very large corporation which provides an iPhone to all administrative employees. Here is an e-mail sent out by their IT Director:

"This message is important so please read it carefully.

If you (or someone you know) has an iPhone, iPad or newer iPod Touch you need to be aware of the following:

Apple has released the 7th Generation of it’s Mobile Device Software simply known as “IOS7”.

With IOS7, Apple has completely redesigned the operating system so now it looks and works much differently.

If you haven’t upgraded already please consider the following items before installing this update:

1. This software release changes the entire look and feel of many core features on all devices.

2. Be aware this update is not reversible regardless of how much you do or do not like it.

3. This update may break some of your apps until a fix is released (possibly weeks).

4. You may lose data stored on the device including pictures and text messages.

5. In a worst case scenario a complete reload of your device may be necessary.

6. If possible back up your device to a computer before upgrading.

It is also a high probability that it will slow down one or more key components of your phone unless you have an iPhone 5 or newer. The iPhone 4 and 4s are old in terms of technology and while they may be able to upgrade to IOS 7, the user experience most likely will not be what you expected. There are already reports of unresponsive keyboards or delayed input with keyboards for iPhone 4 users that have upgraded to IOS 7. It may also break your email or wireless capabilities.

With those points in mind, we recommend that no upgrades take place at this time on company devices.

You may also want to read Apple’s What’s New page and watch Apple’s IOS7 video

Thanks!"

One guys opinion, but I think I'll hold up for a while and see if there are "fixes" for the update.

Wow what a bunch of malarky... So called IT Director and they can't even produce a best practices document for the end user, i.e. BACKUP your device, instead they just try to strike fear into the end-user. What a joke.

That IT response typifies the caution that large or even small corporations must exercise when dealing with interconnected devices. Until the actual field build can be thoroughly tested with all IT systems and in a variety of configurations, no IT department of which I've been a part recommends that people upgrade the instant a new operating system comes out. To the contrary, the advice given is very similar to what was posted above: an upgrade is not recommended until they can validate the new software with their systems already in place.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That IT response typifies the caution that large or even small corporations must exercise when dealing with interconnected devices. Until the actual field build can be thoroughly tested with all IT systems and in a variety of configurations, no IT department of which I've been a part recommends that people upgrade the instant a new operating system comes out. To the contrary, the advice given is very similar to what was posted above: an upgrade is not recommended until they can validate the new software with their systems already in place.

+1. I think it could have been stated better in the email that went out, but extreme conservatism to ensure interoperability seems to be the norm. Inability to ensure this means big $$$ when folks labor dollars are squandered due to IT failing on them.

iOS7 still will not let talking maps on iPhone 4, right? yes, I understand I can use googlemaps instead but that is not integrated in to the contacts etc. And yes, I understand that if I jailbreak my phone, it will let it talk.

My iphone 4"s" does voice navigated maps (imaps, NOT google maps) just fine with ios7, just like it did before ios7.
Not sure about the 4, though.

I thought the iphone 4 didnt have enough hardware specs (or soething else) to do siri, talking maps, etc.

Ive had talking maps via free mapquest for a long time. Rarely use it. Google maps on my iphone integrates just fine to contacts and safari, navigates fine,and is generally trustworthy (though it has taken me way off ocurse more than once, it isnt infallible either). But google maps on the iphone doesnt do voice nav either.

Though I like the idea of phone as GPS, there is something to be said about having a real GPS even still today...

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The phone is much better at finding an upcoming Starbucks or other retail-like location, despite my standalone GPS having the latest update. OTOH the phone will lose its signal at the most inopportune time and won't be able to update.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Though I like the idea of phone as GPS, there is something to be said about having a real GPS even still today...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Same here, I always have a dedicated Garmin GPS in my car. Wife used to use the iphone a lot for maps, and she was really good at it, too...i found it a bit cumbersome, and I like to keep the iphone for phone use.

Now that wife's new car has factory nav/GPS, she doesn't use the iphone for maps/gps needs. (Although she once pointed out that the car's tom tom system sometimes was not as accurate as Siri/iphone maps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back