Internet speed slowing down randomly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had Charter cable since 5/13. Motorola Surf Board SB6121 modem. Netgear WNDR3700 vs2 router. Updated firmware today after Charter tech came to resolve issue. Internet was slow or dropping off all together this weekend. Calling tech support this weekend they said wave form was off? Tech said signal was too strong outside and did some adjusting where cable came into building (not sure I am getting all the terms right).

After he did that it took longest time to connect to Internet. It was worse. It finally connected. After updating router firmware speeds were good. SpeedTest was between 20 Mbps and 70 Mbps depending on which of the 3 computers I ran it on. Then about 20 minutes ago it started the original problem. Speed was .5 Mbps or less for each of 3 computers. Now I am just using modem on this computer. Speedtest is 21 Mbps was about as good as it did when connected to router when speeds were good.

I am trying to figure out if this is still a Charter issue. The symptoms appeared after they went all digital with TV on 2/11. Internet speed was supposed to double from 30 Mbps to 60 Mbps. It has been buggy ever since then. I am suspicious that the infrastructure is not supporting all the additional bandwidth of everything going Digital/HD. Reminds me of when ATT first had DSL in my neighborhood. Internet speeds were not stable at first until infrastructure was more established.

So what do you think? Charter problem? Router problem? Other problem?

I suspect it's them. It would be interesting if you saw your cable modem's frequency before and after this switch to see if they switched your bands.

Regardless, something is gorking up on a neighborhood pole for the transition to fiber. For what it is, cable/RF is great for the "last mile" to hook up houses.

Yup, that is what I suspect. It is kinda like a car when it first rolls out. They tend to have some problems to work out.

If you bypass the router and speed is normal you will find out whether or not its a router issue or not. If its not router must be something on their end.

First do as above, and run the test directly hrough the modem, and see what you get. If it still is ongoing, call them again and have them come back. Chances are it's either a problem with the modem itself, or still a signal issue. If they said waveform was off, and tech said signal was too high, probably means either transmit power or receive power is out of spec. It's something that they are going have to fix, and it's more than likely a problem somewhere between the tap and your modem, or the modem itself. Give them a call, and tell them the issue is still ongoing. If you get lucky, a lot of companies if you have a repeat call for same issue within a few days will send a supervisor or a higher level tech.

Well, I hooked up my router again. All computers were over 50 Mbps. Now my slow computer is at 67.59 Mbps using router. So it is looking like they are correcting issue.

Re: Supervisor...My Tech was driven to job by his supervisor. We had ice storm this morning. One Tech wrecked the work truck. This one caught a ride with his supervisor. So he went back and forth to the truck consulting with supervisor what he should do next.

The horrible weather we have had did not help rolling out the digital cable. Ice, freezing rain, snow and extreme cold have not helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back