Interior protectant recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Nothing - interior plastics do not need to be dressed or protected. The UV inhibitor in the panels is already sufficient for UV protection purposes.

I've heard that before. What do you suggest for coated leather seats?

I don't use anything on those either. I clean with an all-purpose cleaner (such as Optimum Power Clean) if they are very dirty, or just rinseless car wash solution (whatever is leftover from the car wash) if they are not too dirty. I have heard of good success with leather coatings on white leather, but I have not tried them myself.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nothing - interior plastics do not need to be dressed or protected. The UV inhibitor in the panels is already sufficient for UV protection purposes.

I've heard that before. What do you suggest for coated leather seats?

I don't use anything on those either. I clean with an all-purpose cleaner (such as Optimum Power Clean) if they are very dirty, or just rinseless car wash solution (whatever is leftover from the car wash) if they are not too dirty. I have heard of good success with leather coatings on white leather, but I have not tried them myself.

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I wish I would have asked for Dash Away instead of the free wax they were giving out. Since I haven't used the wax since I've had it for two years.

Is that the Barrier Reef wax? I LOVE that stuff! It's my fave wax,you should give it a try and see what you think.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I wish I would have asked for Dash Away instead of the free wax they were giving out. Since I haven't used the wax since I've had it for two years.

Is that the Barrier Reef wax? I LOVE that stuff! It's my fave wax,you should give it a try and see what you think.

Ok, will do. Haven't heard any feedback on it so I wasn't in a hurry to use it. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Surf City Dash Away will do everything you want. It also cleans and protects with a matte finish. I used 303 for a decade + then used Dash Away once and never went back. It's that good.

+1, works on upholstery, headliner and carpet as well. I need to get some more of it. I wish I would have asked for Dash Away instead of the free wax they were giving out. Since I haven't used the wax since I've had it for two years.

It is thanks to you that I got it as a freebie. Thanks again.

Maybe where you live. Tell that to folks in Arizona and Texas then see how many laugh out loud at your statement. Unprotected dashboards crack open down here like a pecan that got stepped on.

Maybe where you live. Tell that to folks in Arizona and Texas then see how many laugh out loud at your statement. Unprotected dashboards crack open down here like a pecan that got stepped on.

I think it is a fine line. I had a F150 and the dash was pristine. I coated it heavily with protectant and it soon after developed a hairline fracture. Some owner's manuals state not to use any as it can cause glare.

Now. I find if you use it sparingly and wipe it down before and/or afterward with a damp sponge or cloth thenyou can get protection, shine, and reduced glare.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

I think it is a fine line. I had a F150 and the dash was pristine. I coated it heavily with protectant and it soon after developed a hairline fracture. Some owner's manuals state not to use any as it can cause glare.

Now. I find if you use it sparingly and wipe it down before and/or afterward with a damp sponge or cloth thenyou can get protection, shine, and reduced glare.

Yeah but WHICH protectant? Garbage products do cause glare on the dash & elsewhere. You HAD an F150.....How long ago was this? Your facts are severely lacking friend.

Interior plastics already container stabilizers for UV protection and a top coat. Most of these "interior protectant" products are simply water-based PDMS dressings and do not contain any UV blockers in the PDMS resin composition. Their claimed UV protection is a result of the level of gloss/shine when the product is first applied since the surface will "reflect" some of the damaging rays from the treated surface.

RTexasF,

I say I say old chap, the products may not be garbage but just need to be diluted straight out of the bottle.

Quit telling people I had a F oh are dee. I am over that stage in my life.
smile.gif

I think over time or if leaving the car outside in summer sun all the time you need to replenish. This may help prevent fading or cracking.

Here in Tx,you definitely need to keep interior leathers,vinyls,and plastics conditioned. I don't like "protectants",they seem to cause dry rot,add artificial gloss,and just seem to coat. I see cars that are only a couple of years old here that are never maintained and everything in the interior will be faded,warped,cracked,torn,etc. My 20 year old interior is still showroom fresh,and all I've ever used is leather conditioner. My car has never been garaged and stays outside.I think the key is like mjoe said,keeping everything replenished so it won't dry out. Leather conditioner will keep everything looking rich without giving it that cheap glossy shine look,plus it smells great!

Been using 303. Still have a few 16oz bottles left, but next Amazon order might buy & try Surf City Dash Away

I think over time or if leaving the car outside in summer sun all the time you need to replenish. This may help prevent fading or cracking.

The sun will degrade all materials used in a car or truck over time, there is no questioning this. Protectents like Vinylex and 303 will help slow this process and help protect vehicle interiors.
I'd also be [censored] if I paid for a full interior detail and they didn't apply anything to the interior surfaces or leather! Isn't that part of "detailing"?

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

The sun will degrade all materials used in a car or truck over time, there is no questioning this. Protectents like Vinylex and 303 will help slow this process and help protect vehicle interiors.
I'd also be [censored] if I paid for a full interior detail and they didn't apply anything to the interior surfaces or leather! Isn't that part of "detailing"?

Not at all. If interior protectants are needed, then new vehicles would come with a layer of goop applied to the interior surfaces - but they do not. If I paid for a proper interior detail, I would expect the interior to be cleaned and return to a factory-level state - and dressing would not be part of that picture.

Maybe detailers should have a checklist like I wished quik lubes did.

Do you want us to check the fluids?
Do you want us to top them up if low, or just notify you of such?

Stuff that the majority probably wouldnt mind, but you know us....we have special filters that should not be disturbed and fluids that shouldnt be diluted with house brands.

So, in a detail....maybe they dont want a shiny dash or tires. Maybe they want under the hood detailed-but without the use of a water hose blast.

Its like you may her they gave you a complimentary oil change for being a loyal customer- but you just changed the oil and was waiting to pull a sample for a UOA.

We need better communications!

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Not at all. If interior protectants are needed, then new vehicles would come with a layer of goop applied to the interior surfaces - but they do not. If I paid for a proper interior detail, I would expect the interior to be cleaned and return to a factory-level state - and dressing would not be part of that picture.

Maybe that 'goop' is what off-gasses and causes a film on the inside of the dash glass to form when new. I saw in one owner's manual that you should wash the glass a few times when new to get rid of those chemicals.

Just like alot of other things, if you just for get about it until it looks like it needs attention, then do something, you may be ok. Like watering a plant. Dont drown it but dont let it turn into a toothpick either.

Plastics,leathers,rubbers,etc,are like our skin. Our skin naturally restores it's "conditioners". Man made products don't. That's why we use "conditioners" to keep those man made products from drying out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back