Interesting Youtube Videos From A Meat Locker

One of those I'll spend too much time watching how it's done, getting hungry, saying I need to go the butcher more instead of supermarket.

Also need a bigger freezer.

A butcher that processes deer is the last place I would buy a steak from.
Prions are scary.

Prions are scary.
Why are you so scared of Prions?
Lockers I have been in, never process deer, beef or pork on the same days.
Sanitize the equipment after each day of cutting meat.

Why are you so scared of Prions?
Lockers I have been in, never process deer, beef or pork on the same days.
Sanitize the equipment after each day of cutting meat.
Sanitizing equipment from prions is intensive when done properly, I don't trust people to do it right.
Just cleaning it with soap and water isn't enough.

Mayo Clinic says 300 cases of prions per year in the USA. I'll take my chances I suppose.

My deer hunting group used to process an average of 25 deer per year. We did it in one of the guys shop. Not nearly as clean as a professional locker. None of us ever got sick. Now I'm too old and broken down to hunt, so I gave it up a few years ago. :mad:

Prions are scary.
It would be worth checking to see if its an issue in your area, so far Ontario has no known cases of Chronic wasting disease in deer, Elk or moose.
But there are CWD deer in Missouri, so presumably there is some risk in slaughter rooms that do both, although you'd probably find many of them only do farm animals and don't mess around with wild game at all.

It would be worth checking to see if its an issue in your area, so far Ontario has no known cases of Chronic wasting disease in deer, Elk or moose.
But there are CWD deer in Missouri, so presumably there is some risk in slaughter rooms that do both, although you'd probably find many of them only do farm animals and don't mess around with wild game at all.
Most of the big butchers in my area do both wild and farm animals so I avoid them.
Prion disease takes decades before symptoms, Maybe I'll be less worried when I'm in my late 60's.

Back