Interesting potential twist in Mobil 1 saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Why does anyone still want M1 when Ashland and Castrol are claiming to be "x" times better?

LOL.gif

We're savy enough to see through the add campaign foolishness. Also a lifetime of excellent results.

Formulas change.. people change... decisions are always made behind closed doors. I'm a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty.. but there IS a chance.. albeit a small chance, that there is some truth to it. All we can do is sit and wait..

Okay, I stopped back in there today. The TLE "manager" swears up and down that they were issued a recall letter for all Mobil oil. He didn't know why and had no disposition information for the current stock, only to yank it.

I asked if this was local, regional, or nation wide. He did not know the answer to that question. I suspect that this particular individual hadn't actually seen the alleged recall notification.

How about the OP go up to the customer service desk and get a picture of the "wall of recalls" showing the oil being recalled. WM does post up all recalled items that are sold in their stores

Originally Posted By: RKBA
Okay, I stopped back in there today. The TLE "manager" swears up and down that they were issued a recall letter for all Mobil oil. He didn't know why and had no disposition information for the current stock, only to yank it.

I asked if this was local, regional, or nation wide. He did not know the answer to that question. I suspect that this particular individual hadn't actually seen the alleged recall notification.

That`s how it works. At my job we occasionally get a recall notice and all it says is instructions on what to pull and to ship it back. No reasons or explanations whatsoever. So if in fact it did happen,he and the store know nothing more than just to follow the instructions on the letter and send the product to the address they provided.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
How about the OP go up to the customer service desk and get a picture of the "wall of recalls" showing the oil being recalled. WM does post up all recalled items that are sold in their stores

Well, you learn something new everyday.

I don't have time to go back right now; next time I'm over that way I'll pop in again.

Last week, my local Walmart (LI, NY) moved all the jugs of M1 to the premium aisle-header location. Wonder if Mobil is giving WM perks to get premium shelf space, like mfgs. do in the supermarket.

funny how M-1 users are apparently brand loyal to a company with a questionable product.

Only 42 quarts left to return then I'm free of this evil fluid.
More for you folks to enjoy

Steve

as opposed to all the other oil companies who are there to make a quality item and not to make profit
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif

face it they are all money grubbing corporations, they all have there bad moments so what .....

As I commented earlier I changed the oil in both of my vehicles today and ran with the Castrol Edge 5w30.

1. The V10 is very very quiet now. It's never been that quiet on a fresh change of 5w20. Hopefully my oil consumption will go way down. I bottled a little used oil to send out for a UOA. Regardless of the outcome, I plan to go back to Mobil1, however, I'll be using 5w30 from then on. Provided I get the oil consumption issue taken care of.

2. This oil seems (so far) to be not much different than Castol Syntec 5w30. I say this because the lifters in my old 5.7L LT1 stay far noisier after a cold start than when a fresh fill of Mobil1 5w30 is in the crankcase. I ran Castrol Syntec 5w30 last winter, and when it was cold out, the lifters tap tapped away for far longer than I'd like them to until the oil got up there.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though Castrol Edge has some PAO in it, it isn't the same as straight PAO (Mobil1). If it's true that Castrol Edge is 8x better at wear than Mobil1, I'd have to say there's more to a good oil than just protecting when it's warm. Cold start up has just as much to do with an oil being good. And I was hoping that Castrol Edge had licked the cold start up thing. At least for me anyway. I understan that with 180,000 miles on the engine my oil pump my be a bit weak, and the lifters/rockers/pushrods a bit worn/loose. But it is still to me a demonstration of the oil still not perhaps flowing as well as a pure play PAO like Mobil1.

Just my 2 cents,
RustyFuryIII

Most oils are a mixture of different base stocks. However Mobil tech told me in Dec. All M1 tagged oils are GR 4 oils.

It's obviously a "New Coke" type situation. Take it away and the hoards of believers will cry out for it.
MobilMan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back