Installed another set of Dunlop SP A2s today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a set of the predecessor, not the Plus, on a '93 Corolla once. It totally transformed the car's ride, making it much more secure feeling at highway speeds. Did pretty well in the snow too, although I think we only used 'em for one winter before selling the car. The only all-seasons I've ever used that I liked better are the much, much pricier Nokian WR.

So the A2s do all right in snow? What about deep snow, like 8+ inches? Maybe I should have considered them over the Precept Touring I just bought, but comments on Discount and Tirerack indicated the A2s aren't quite that good in snow.

Yeah, I dunno about that. I will sit down and make a list of tires I've used and in snow the A2s are the 2nd best ever next to the Conti Extremes. I considered a 15" set for winters on my RSX. Had the rims, had the tires, but decided to use them both on other applications and continue with the a/s 16" ASX on my car. I've bout about 2 dozen A2s and would do so again if the application was right and it is very often right for most normal drivers. Snow/quietness/wet grip/ride would be the top qualities of the A2, in order.

My prior experience with SPA2 (non +) was good handling and noise level. However, every single one I have either blow out on highway speed or developed cracks and fall apart in the parking lot. Way before I hit the 2/32 mark, as a matter of fact, all 8 SPA2 I have ever had are developing cracks on the treads within 2-3 years and 40k miles. I suspected that Dunlop uses a very low weather resistance formula for the SPA2 and is the cause of it.

What are the opinion of SPA2+ in terms of cracks resistance? I am reluctant to buy another set unless I am sure this won't happen again. None of my other tires (Continental, Goodyear, Yokohama, OEM, Bridgestone, and even the cheapo Chinese Wynstar) ever have this problem.

The Kumhos ASX seem very similar, as much as I like the A2s, probally would take the Kumhos over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back