In case of a blowout, goose the throttle??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't explain the physics of it but intuitively it feels right.

That stuff about the tread separation getting into the passenger cabin is scary!

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I've taken about 3 police/law enforcement driving courses and all 3 taught this tactic for tire failures.

As have I. They intentionally blew out tires with explosives at speed on a closed course and found the absolute best way to control the car is to mash the accelerator to the floor for a few seconds in the case of a blowout. This stabilizes the car and than you can let off the accelerator and coast to the shoulder while using minimal braking. A very important tactic to know and learn since it could save your life.

Don't do anything. Just allow the car to slightly decelerate. You don't want to do anything to upset the car.

I used to blow tires back when I was cheap and ran them to the cords. They actually give you 5 -10 seconds of warning with a noise and imbalance.

I had a rear tire blowout never a front. All I did was take my foot off the gas, steer toward the good tire on the rear axle, and let the car slow on its on a bit, then applied the brake. I was able to retain control and stop straight. My concern with flooring an automatic transmission is forcing a downshift and rapid acceleration. A stick OTOH would probably be perfect. I'd love to take a class and try flooring it.

if you get accelleration, reduce the throttle. the point is you want to avoid slowing until the vehicle is stable. You'll need to steer more and more towards the good side as the vehicle slows

There is a 50s comparison between Chrysler cars and GM vehicles on You Tube,they blow out the tire on a Mopar and a Buick,the Mopar tire stays on the rim because its got "safety rim wheels" with double bead bumps.The Buick tire rolled off the rim,and ruined the wheel scraping the road,and could have ripped a brake line off.

I think it makes a BIG difference between FWD and RWD. RWD, you probably want to gas it. I have had a wheel-off on a FWD car that I had just purchased. I knew enough to not stab the brake, eventually my LCA hit the ground, and I slid along the side of the freeway for 60+ feet.

Applying throttle has been taught for many, many years.

There is no need to lose control due to a front tire blowout.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Applying throttle has been taught for many, many years.

There is no need to lose control due to a front tire blowout.

it's a rear blowout that would concern me more. What if it happens midcorner, say during a hillclimb, or descent?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
it's a rear blowout that would concern me more. What if it happens midcorner, say during a hillclimb, or descent?

In that case, you're probably better off feeding in some throttle and then gently backing off when the car is stable and controllable. Keeping a bit of throttle on can help retain stability when sliding. Cutting throttle suddenly is bad, especially if sliding or turning, as the sudden weight transfer can upset the vehicle and lead to snap oversteer.

Keep in mind, every vehicle responds differently, so what works in one vehicle may not work in another. Having an idea of how the vehicle behaves if you slide it around on a low-traction surface will give you some feel for what would work best to get it stable again after a blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back