Ignition Switch Wiring

1992 Yamaha Timberwolf has 3 wires going to the key switch. From best i can tell the red is hot, the faded brown or yellow goes to the main fuse, and the black is ground. I can hook the red to the brown and the neutral light will come on, allowing me to crank it. If I disconnect them, it remains running. Is the black wire really a ground or is it shorted out somewhere? If it's a ground, what purpose does it serve? And how is the ignition switch suppose to kill the engine? I'm confused 😕, which doesn't take much these days...

Thanks in advance!!

Here is the wiring diagram...the handlebar key switch circuit is shown in the upper left portion of the schematic.

1715087531084.jpg

It looks like the diagram has the start switch and the stop switch mislabeled. Turning the key off or pressing the stop switch will ground the black and white wire from the CDI unit, which kills the ignition.

The CDI system is self-powered. The only interaction between the ignition and the 12 volt system is the L/W or R/W wire, which is energized only during cranking. This probably commands the CDI to retard the timing for easier starting.

That wiring diagram is showing 4 wires, I only have 3. I'm wondering now if connecting the brown and black together at the key switch will kill it. Does that sound right?

Back