If you want a good photoshop like program..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using GIMPshop, a little hard to get used to (PS tutorials don't xfer over exactly), but I'm sure its very powerful beyond my understanding.

A couple other good ones for Windows, are Paint.net and Photoplus. Both do layers, also.

I hit the Faq but I don't see what file types it handles. Do you know if it can edit Acrobat files. I am too lazy to download and install. It might be a good solution for a few workstations here. Thanks for the tip!

I've never tried to open/edit a pdf file, but it is listed so you should be able to work with them
cheers.gif

gimp.jpg

I've been suing Gimp on my Intel Mac for almost a year. It's indeed okay, especially for freeware! Some features are less userfriendly than they are in Photoshop and I can't wait for Photoshop Creative Suite 3 to be released, which may happen this month or hopefully next month. Once CS3 is out, I'll wait a while, because I'm sure Adobe will have to iron out some bugs.

All that said, the Gimp is good for all basic and sufficiently suitable for some more advanced applications.

thanks for the reminder- I run Linux regularly at home now and should test out GIMP (have Linux on my laptop too but the wireless connexion isn't recognized).

For freeware the GIMP and OpenOffice are pretty decent software. OpenOffice even can create PDF files whereis Microsoft Office does not have that ability (unless Office 2007 does). Free software like this makes Linux more acceptable and you can get GIMP and OpenOffice for the Mac and Windows. When you consider what you can get for free it makes me wonder why Microsoft Office and Photoshop cost so much.

However, I personally do not care too much for open source software. I have bad memories of finding a possible backdoor in Firefox. I owned a Windows computer a while back that had all kinds of free software-OpenOffice, free version of ZoneAlarm, free AVG antivirus, free antispyware software, GIMP, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.

I don't have a lot of experience with Linux but for a while I toyed with the idea of getting a custom built computer that could run Linux and using free software on it. But the problem is that if you work on photo editing you somehow have to locate scanners, photo printers, etc. that are truly compatible with Linux.

Probably the best computer for computer graphics is the Mac although a Windows computer can get the job done too. I suppose a Linux computer could get the job done if you were doing digital photography, did not need much in the way of a scanner, and could somehow find a compatible photo printer. Personally I have pretty much given up on Linux even for a server computer. OpenBSD is better as a server and Apple Computers and computers running Winners are hard to beat as desktop computers. And now they are finding all kinds of exploits that can be used against Linux operating systems.

I don't know if anybody will ever truly replace Photoshop. Actually, Adobe Software itself may have found a possible replacement with Lightroom, their own product. Lightroom is cheaper.

For almost a years I have been using Gimp and I like it. The biggest issue was the limited brush pallet and creating a variable size brush was a little tricky due to conflicting information. My nerd/hacker buddy did however help me out and I have now a brush pallet that meets my needs. Still, I'm glad to using once again Photoshop 7 (more than sufficient for my needs) on my main computer. It runs actually faster and smoother on my Intel Mac than it did on my G3 iMac. The price for PS 8 (CS 3) seems inflated.

I am not sure if I will upgrade to Photoshop CS3 or not. I have Lightroom (you can get Lightroom for $199.00 up until something like April 30th when it goes to $299.00) and I may be able to do all of my photo editing in Lightroom. If I can, I see no reason to get Photoshop CS3. But I could get CS3 from Tiger Direct for probably something like $150.00 (the upgrade).

My PS 7 isn't upgradeable. Ahem...
blush.gif
Anyway, it doesn't matter, because I need PS only for basic editing and retouching. Oh, and I do require Color Sync, which PS 7 does offer.

The Intel Mac users among you (Surely I'm not the only one?) who need only very basic imaging software might want to try ChocoFlop. It seems to be freeware, although donations are welcome. So far it's an alpha version and a as such a work in progress.

http://www.chocoflop.com/downloads/

You can bypass upgrades and get the most recent one also. If you have a legal copy of Photoshop 7 you can go all the way to Photoshop CS3 which will be coming out shortly. Might as well have the latest version as long as your computer will run it. Photoshop 8 is CS1 and Photoshop 9 is CS2.

An upgrade is a lot cheaper than the full version. In the USA the full version of Photoshop is something like $650.00 although if you are a student you can get a student discount which is considerable. A student might pay only $280.00 or so for a full version. An upgrade would be something like $150.00-$170.00. You would have to go to some place selling used software to find a copy of Photoshop CS1 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back