If you think oil came from dinosaurs, think again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crw
The most important "take away" from this is that we might never "run out" of oil.

Indeed! oil is a renewable resource. It just takes 65 million years. But it is renewable!
grin2.gif

The "dinosaur" theory is garbage. It was drilled into us kids in the 60s.
The earth's core is a heat reactor/generator of sorts.
Petoleum is a by-product of that reactor.

If that was public knowledge, the oil companies, and the Arabs, would shrivel up.
The fear of "no more oil" keeps demand and the price up.

Petoleum seeps from the ocean floor continuously, it does less on land due to contruction over virgin land.

We've been running out of oil "forever," wake up!

Originally Posted By: 91gmblack

If that was public knowledge, the oil companies, and the Arabs, would shrivel up.

Petoleum seeps from the ocean floor continuously, it does less on land due to contruction over virgin land.

What's "petoleum"?

If that was public knowledge, the oil companies, and the Arabs, would shrivel up. The fear of "no more oil" keeps demand and the price up.

Petroleum seeps from the ocean floor continuously...

A quick search pegs the annual oil seepage rate at somewhere near 600,000 metric tons.
This is equivalent to about 4 million barrels per YEAR.
Global oil consumption is about 100 million barrels per DAY.

Assuming the natural seeps represent an equilibrium level of production and leakage, it's clear that nature isn't making the stuff remotely fast enough to keep up with human use.

what are we gonna do when its all gone?
are there any more of these prozoas left or are we just goin to grind up some whales?

37.gif

How many dinosaurs lived in the ocean anyway?
Yep lots of them. How many gallons of oil come from 1 dinosaur?

The most important "take away" from this is that we might never "run out" of oil.

IMO this is a ridiculous conclusion to come to. The source of the oil is highly irrelevant as is the "production" of new oil. We know there is a LOT of methane hydrates in the sea. Can these polymerize or change form in the right conditions? Sure. Can other things cause carbon chains of different sorts to grow an create a crude/sludge which is highly energetic? sure.

The issue is a kinetic one, NOT a source one. Even if we found today that "fossil" fuels were inherently totally renewable by way of some carbon cycle, it wouldnt matter one bit in and of itself - what matters is the kinetics, the rate characteristics of this process occurring from start to finish. If it takes 10 years for one mole of CO2 and one mole of water to form one mole of useful long chain hydrocarbon by some natural process, if the timeframe of reproduction of hydrocarbons is slower than the rate of our consumption, we still have problems no matter how you look at it.

Exactly.
While new petroleum may be forming even as I write this, does anyone want to contend that the rate of formation is keeping up with the rate of exploitation?
The reason that we have been running out of oil for decades, and we still have enough to go around, is that a rising price has made it economically feasible to find and exploit oil that would have been without value at some lower price, since the cost of production would have exceeded the market price for the commodity.
BP wasn't drilling a deep well in deep water just because they could.
They were doing so because, outside of a few regions, the easily found and produced stuff is gone.
It is not oil formation that has kept us from running out for all these years, rather it is advances in exploration and recovery techniques, as well as a rising market price.
The resorce remains, practically speaking, finite.

I don't think so.
There are some other concerns, though.
What will the price be in fifty years?
Will people still be able to afford personal transportation in fifty years?
Will air travel still exist in fifty years?

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life here. It appears that all the dominant hominins previously existing on the planet obliterated themselves warring over a carbon-based lubricating substance.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I don't think so.
There are some other concerns, though.
What will the price be in fifty years?
Will people still be able to afford personal transportation in fifty years?
Will air travel still exist in fifty years?
I most likly will be dead or close to it by then. So will many others by nature or political design.

That doesnt mean that some reasonable attempt shouldnt be made to leave this place the same or better than we entered.

Or should we just assume that we are the same as locusts and leave it at that. If that is the case then why are we trying to cure disease and famine and whatnot? Let's just let overpopulation destroy us all now...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That doesnt mean that some reasonable attempt shouldnt be made to leave this place the same or better than we entered.

Or should we just assume that we are the same as locusts and leave it at that. If that is the case then why are we trying to cure disease and famine and whatnot? Let's just let overpopulation destroy us all now...
I would put money on locust. Overpopulation is most interesting as most that mention it are the last ones to eliminate themselves as their solution to the problem. You drive ? Then you shouldn't it is bad!! Did you Christmas shop.

I will most likely be dead in fifty years.
However, my sons will likely be alive, as will any children they may have.
I would not want to leave my children and grandchildren a world that we have treated as locusts would a cornfield.
Now, poulation is self-regulating, to a degree.
All of the developed countries, save ours, have declining populations.
We only have population growth in our country as a result of imigration, legal or not, and it remains a net positive.
We attract not just unskilled labor, but the best and the brightest from all over the world.
As nations like China and India develop, they will likely see first stabilization and then decline in population.
The undeveloped world does suffer from overpopulation, as well as the naural consequence of resulting scarcity bringing famine, disease and war.
European populations were regulated for centuries by these very factors.
I don't want my children or their children to live in a world where we have left them a legacy of scarcity, with all of its attendant consequences.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I will most likely be dead in fifty years.
However, my sons will likely be alive, as will any children they may have.
I would not want to leave my children and grandchildren a world that we have treated as locusts would a cornfield.
Now, poulation is self-regulating, to a degree.
All of the developed countries, save ours, have declining populations.
We only have population growth in our country as a result of imigration, legal or not, and it remains a net positive.
We attract not just unskilled labor, but the best and the brightest from all over the world.
As nations like China and India develop, they will likely see first stabilization and then decline in population.
The undeveloped world does suffer from overpopulation, as well as the naural consequence of resulting scarcity bringing famine, disease and war.
European populations were regulated for centuries by these very factors.
I don't want my children or their children to live in a world where we have left them a legacy of scarcity, with all of its attendant consequences.

Ur gonna be on nerve pills there g27, relax. Man shall not live by bread alone,,i add peanut butter to mine. well it works for me. IMHO

How many dinosaurs lived in the ocean anyway?

How many oysters/trilobites lived at the top of mountain ranges ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back