If you had to choose only 1, what caliber and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about .44 magnum fired out of a winchester lever action, which you would also be able to use in your wheelgun.

My reasoning, it will work on anything in North America (it's even taken elephants) as well as the ability to load it down enough to take rabbits and such.

So my choice would be .44 magnum. Second choice would be 30.06 becuase there are so many bullets and loads available for it.

-

-

[ September 23, 2004, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Shooting a 30.06 with 168gr boattails at 200yds and 300yds and 190gr boattails at 600 yds, at an estimated 2600 fps, I typically needed an additional 1 3/4 MOA at the 200yd going from a 100 yd zero, 7 MOA at the 300 yd line, and 21 MOA at the 600yd. That's compensating for 21 inches of drop at the 300 and 126 inches at the 600. You really need to know the distance to have a chance beyond about 250 yds for a well placed shot, and to make the shot you need to know how to read the wind and mirage. As I recall I've used up to around 7 minutes of windage at 600yds, which is 42 inches. I was never good at reading mirage, instead I had to 'chase it' by relying on steady conditions and the placement of the last shot.

Don't be a 'slob hunter' with long shots that you don't know how to make.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
What about .44 magnum fired out of a winchester lever action, which you would also be able to use in your wheelgun.

My reasoning, it will work on anything in North America (it's even taken elephants) as well as the ability to load it down enough to take rabbits and such.

So my choice would be .44 magnum. Second choice would be 30.06 becuase there are so many bullets and loads available for it.

-

-

MSparks,
I've got a Browning B92 in .44Mag.

It's a hoot to take out to the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back