Idiot in an suv on the way to work this morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a good bit of amusement out of this too. I'm never in a hurry. I don't doddle, but I never race to wait at a light. I never figured out why people hurry up to wait. In reality I do know for most of them. Most aren't integrated into their environment and don't perceive things outside of their 20-100' existence bubble. Their demeanor doesn't know that it can't trump the immutable physics in engaging in acts of futility.

I'm also amazed at the number of people who play "road games" routinely. You can almost sense it ..there are obviously some position/approach/proximity cues being broadcast and reflected in the tango.

I love internet kill stories posted on internet.
33.gif

Not sure of the age of the poster but these seem typically reserved to the 18-30 crowd.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
You're too nice. People in mASS are born with a heavy right foot and elongated middle finger.

Amen to that. Mass drivers are the worst, they are very aggressive. (No offense meant to mass residents) My grandfather (who lived in Boston for 15 years) gave me some advice. "When in massachussetts, they pretend they don't see you. So just pretend you don't see them, and they will yield." So I guess chicken with 2 1/2 ton metal blocks moving at 40+ MPH. This is also from the guy we tease and call "Fred Fred" (Like Tom tom). Maybe someday I'll tell that story. Anyway, I drive my parents Expedition somewhat frequently. With most of our cars, I like to keep my hands at about 8 and 4. It depends on where the Spokes are. I like to hold the spokes, specifically usually the one on the bottom left. Sometimes I drive with one hand at 12. Oh and must have taken some skill to tackle a 25 turn at 50 in a Metro.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a truck driver so I am used to all the stuff people do while driving. Just take your time, go the speed limit and you'll get where you need to go. Do not slam on your brakes for a tailgater, unless you just have a death wish. If a cop or a witness sees that, you'll be charged with reckless driving.

Quote:
Mass drivers are the worst, they are very aggressive.

They have to be. The traffic regulation is more suited to horse and buggies. Most towns in Mass are 300 years old. They've all got a town common and the roads had no civil planning involved. Add people..and what do you get. I think one intersection in Cambridge or Sommerset had 8 roads converging on it and just an open space between them after the stop sign. In many cases it can be just like Chevy Chase's European Vacation as he went around and around the Arc de Triomphe ....and almost every town has one.

Never go to Boston.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
They have to be. The traffic regulation is more suited to horse and buggies. Most towns in Mass are 300 years old. They've all got a town common and the roads had no civil planning involved. Add people..and what do you get. I think one intersection in Cambridge or Sommerset had 8 roads converging on it and just an open space between them after the stop sign. In many cases it can be just like Chevy Chase's European Vacation as he went around and around the Arc de Triomphe ....and almost every town has one.

Never go to Boston.

This might be the most interesting thing I've ever heard about Mass. drivers.

Most cars will corner a lot harder than most SUV's. It's simple physics. Now a featherweight car like a Metro can hold like glue even with skinny tires because there's not much there, and it's low to the ground.

Even much portlier cars can still corner pretty darned quickly if necessary. And if your average SUV driver thinks they can follow, they'd better put down their cell phone and coffee.

Quote:
This might be the most interesting thing I've ever heard about Mass. drivers.

I was born in Mass and had my license while living there. If you're acclimated, it's not too much of an issue. You learn to react much more quickly where opportunity presents itself. Many main thoroughfares, that would have been widened many times due to traffic density, are still unchanged after 60+ years. 20 times the cars ..same road. If you're a local, you adapt.

I learned a few "right of way" notions from my NuWingland relatives. The most frequently cited was "If you can get your passenger door past the car next to you, you can pull over". As odd as that sounds as an immutable tenet of driving, it was trumped by a cab driver in Boston who said, "Oh, no...all you need is the front fender".

Originally Posted By: PRND3L
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'd let it roll off my back. If this were city driving, I'd get a certain sadistic pleasure of rolling through the lights he's stopped at. That really [censored] people off when you roll by them again and again and again. They go all ape on you. I look at it as their monkey dance acknowledging me as the better driver since I'm abusing my car less to get where I need to go.

Bingo! This is my favorite commute pastime.
thumbsup2.gif

I do this all the time! Hypermiling. Plus, it just makes sense. I can look far enough down the road and see red lights (you know, because I'm actually PAYING ATTENTION to the road). You don't need to Jeff Gordan it up to red lights and jam on the brakes when you can coast right on through when the light turns green.

It absolutely makes people angry. I laugh. It's stupid to be first to the next red light...

Last edited:
RoDialand drivers have a heritage of being one of the no insurance states to bolster their driving habits. Lots of people in Attahborah would sport RI tags (this was a while ago).

Originally Posted By: andyd
If you think MA drivers are bad, head South on 95 to Providence, or 84 in Hartord

I don't know. I was born in RI, lived in NH and MA and worked in the three cities above. I think it's kind of a toss up. My current commute to Worcester, Ma is a breath of fresh air compared to before. There are morons everywhere, but Woosta isn't too bad.

I absolutely love driving out west. It's nice to put your directional on and have people wave you over.

Too few people know how to pronounce Worcester ..here it's Wor-ces-ter (that just doesn't flow right)..they don't read it like "force-ster"

But if yah frum Mass ..it's (as you correctly accented it) WOOstah

I had a 4dr lowrider Honda tailgate one night. I was going over the speed limit by 5 already and sped up a little more. The guy still was on my rear. Good deal! I knew there was road construction up ahead with a very large bump in the road. I hit it in my 4x4 and felt my hair touch the roof. Behind me I see the bright flash of sparks and start giggling to myself...IT WORKED! The car backed way off then took a right. He had to have had some damage done!

My brother once had someone tailgating him and there was a plastic trashcan in the middle of the traffic lane ahead. He swerved around the trashcan at the last possible second--yep, the tailgater hit the trashcan and it went flying up into the air.

Whenever I get someone who is just a numb tailgating driver, I just keep slowing down a little at a time. They find someone else to be their mental cruise control. I had a lady with children do this on a snow covered road. It wasn't even the highway. You could tell that this was SOP for her. When I eventually put my turn signal on she did back off a great deal ..but to her it was "it's what I do" (Wormhole Xtreme)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back