Idemitsu Synthetic Oil

It's good oil; just as good as the major brands, but nothing better. I would not pay more for it and I wouldn't go looking for it just to buy it even if it was the same price. Basically, the major brands are just as good, are easier (for me) to obtain, and are less expensive. If I found it by chance on the shelf and it was significantly cheaper because of a sale or something, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and use it.

I have an oil analysis from our 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 5w30:

IMG_3503.jpeg

Ezrash
Everything's nice except Flashpoint, Shear / Fuel.
I have the same engine. I just changed the oil and used three quarts 5w40 and two quarts 5w30.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is what went in after the Idemitsu, I’ll send for an analysis of that when due for a change mid summer. I’m well aware of the issues with this engine family so I’m trying to find a good oil and the right change interval to squeeze as much life out of it as I can.

Viscosity out of spec is not a concern??Pardonnez moi!!
I’m definitely not an expert on oils but I believe I read somewhere in these forums that Idemitsu 5w30 was barely in the 30 “category” and almost a 5w20… (if this explains the lower #…or I could be totally wrong) 20 is what this engine calls for with 30 being an acceptable alternative per the manual. Does this make sense?

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is what went in after the Idemitsu, I’ll send for an analysis of that when due for a change mid summer. I’m well aware of the issues with this engine family so I’m trying to find a good oil and the right change interval to squeeze as much life out of it as I can.
PUP is not going to improve the 3 Negatives I mentioned above. The 2.4 and 2.0 from Hyunkia need a blend that keeps the travel viscosity as high as possible - later in the OCI when shearing is gaining traction. These 'very sensitive' engines last longer this way, along with shortening the OCI to 3k.

My next blend is a 50-50 mix of HPL No VII in 10w30 and HPL Passenger Premium Plus in 5w30. This blend should end my next OCI with my CST@100 still in the very low 10s (I hope anyways). You are headed for the 8's and that's too low for this particular 2.4 engine and it's soft metallurgy concerns with the connective rod bearings. If you get an hour or two of reading time, search member Accent Abuser and it's there you'll find the best news for our 2 engines and his 1.6 are thickened viscosity and short 3k OCIs.

Many here at BITOG shriek when blending two different labels of the same brand name gets announced. However, I'm proof it works. I've been doing it since 1970 and never stopped. I'm first & last owner of my vehicles. I'm feeling like a young kid in a candy store, waiting to blend my PAO / Esters / very-very low VII Frankenblend of HPL.

Last edited:
I’m definitely not an expert on oils but I believe I read somewhere in these forums that Idemitsu 5w30 was barely in the 30 “category” and almost a 5w20… (if this explains the lower #…or I could be totally wrong) 20 is what this engine calls for with 30 being an acceptable alternative per the manual. Does this make sense?
The low viscosity number can be explained by fuel dilution which is very likely higher than Blackstone’s estimate.

So there’s a couple things and they’re not directly about you in any way. The 7.8xcSt result is already in the lower half of 20 grade viscosity window. What was really concerning was that Blackstone says “everything’s great!” When that’s clearly not the case with the oil.

Yes, I believe this engine calls for a 20 grade, and it’s probably still OK at this time, but that’s not the point. A UOA is a tool to tell you how the oil itself is doing, and from the looks of your report, it’s not great in this use case, since the viscosity is so far out of the correct grade for that oil. My knock was on Blackstone’s interpretive dance analysis, not necessarily your results, because other than the obvious fuel & viscosity drop, there’s nothing really concerning with the results themselves, other than the false sense of security from their tall tale. 👍🏻

Back