Ice auger

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine was asking about an issue a friend of his is having with an ice auger. It will not start when it is cold, like sub zero, but will start in warmer temps. He had it to a repair shop where they replaced the carb but is still having the same issue. I said it may be the crank seals. I do not have any info on the unit, but will probably be looking at it to see if I can figure it out. Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts.
Thanks

I was going to say just get a manual one, but in MN I think you often see 3' of ice? A 6" fin bore can do an inch per second, for the first few holes atleast. But we usually max out at 18" or so.
Anyways, sounds like its too lean, is there a choke?, or a low speed screw? Crank seals will make it go lean too, but I imagine the one on the gear box side doesn't matter too much and hopefully you can see if the one on top is spewing gas...

I have recently fixed two 2 cyle engines by finding loose head bolts. I could not get the fuel drawn in. Also check for a restricted in tank fuel filter if equiped. You could go manual but the ice around here is getting thick.

Some engines/carbs are cold blooded and don't like to prime and start. Could always give it a shot of starting fluid to get it running and the fuel moving. When its cold you don't get good atomization. On mine I tune it in the coldest weather I can. When I tuned it in the summer and ran it in the winter it was lean and needed partial choke to stay running.

Get it tuned in the cold and it will run fine in the warmer weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back