I want a MONSTEROUSLY POWERFUL ... Magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Super Magnet in action...

475968951_a4d45d0d96.jpg

That looks like it hurts???

Cattle magnets are placed in cows first stomach to catch any metal they might pick up grazing that could injure their digestive track. Upon slaughter, everything is in the 1st stomach.

When I was growing up, there was a kid down the street who's Father worked at a slaughter house.
I use to have several of the magnets, but they were used.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
... this would be put on the outside of the pan...
Putting on the outside means most of the magnetic flux will prefer to flow through the steel pan from pole to pole rather than through the air on the inside.
Agreed, I'll bet it already has at least one inside.

This. Thin steel can saturate, but you will need lots of field. Easier to put on the inside. And it probably already has some.

Yep two on the inside but they aren't enough because these torque converters are shuddering and eating themselves. So after the repair they add 4.

I was thinking... heck... lets do this... big time.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
... this would be put on the outside of the pan...
Putting on the outside means most of the magnetic flux will prefer to flow through the steel pan from pole to pole rather than through the air on the inside.
Agreed, I'll bet it already has at least one inside.

This. Thin steel can saturate, but you will need lots of field. Easier to put on the inside. And it probably already has some.

Could you help me use this site and their magnets/field calculator on the lower left side .... to see if an external magnet will put field through the pan successfully in a practical sized neo magnet. Also I don't get which orientation would be better, the axially or diametrically magnetized.

LINK TO K&J MAGNETICS

If you really want to pursue this get some hard disk magnets and a piece of sheet steel and test it with some iron filings. Personally I feel it's a waste of time as it will never be as effective as the existing internal magnets.

As above, if anything, an in-line filter on the cooling line would be a better option.

Any recommendations for the strongest oil plug magnets? I would prefer one of these more than one mounted to an oil filter or pan

ANY good reliable, well priced sources? Any "MAGNET" guys out there that can help?

My transmission has a magnet in it. Doesn't yours?

I have a bunch of neodynium magnets round the oil filter and one in the fuel tank - if my gearbox was magnetic (it's aluminium) then I'd have a couple in there, too.

I am new to the board. I have a 97 Cadillac Northstar and a timing chain tensioner failed. What happened is that the 'guide' which is covered with a "hard plastic" type of material failed as the plastic fell off and permitted the aluminum alloy guide to contact the steel timing chain cutting into the aluminum guide and causing debris to float around the engine. I do not think that a magnet would haul in the guide's debris. Short of overhauling the engine, does anyone have any ideas how to collect the debris? Is there a flush that could work to direct the debris into the filter or am I looking at an engine overhaul?

I got my neodymium magnets on ebay from China. I put them on evey fill and drain plug on my vehicles. Pita and a half on the jeep because I stacked so many that I can't get it into the hole lol.

Thanks Dyusik, I will keep that in mind. A few years ago I bought a bunch of neodymium magnets myself. They are borderline dangerous they are soo strong.. I will look into putting them on my drain plugs and in my tranny pan.

Just epoxy the buggers. I lost a few in my jeep oil pan since it must have a higher Fe content than the plugs.
smile.gif
I like the aluminum oil pan on the bike. I always freak out and think that the magnets fell off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back