I threw most of my pans away and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pour off grease and wipe the pan hard with paper toweling.
I've been screamed at for daring to use a bit of water to clean cast iron. I use a stainless steel steel wool pad to knock off the crusty bits.
Re-lube as necessary. I haven't done the 500 degree thing yet but need to as I rescued a newish Calphalon cast iron pan from our recycling center. It was rusty and needs its wee pores filled with "seasoning oil".

I had a glazed cast pan years ago which I loved. The PO dropped and chipped the glaze. I used that pan until I dropped it and REALLY chipped it. I should have broken off all the glazing to see what was under there.

Oh well. Kira

Originally Posted By: 04SE
Replaced them with cast iron. I do NOT know how I ever lived with teflon and non-stick pans. Cooking with cast has been amazing. Food tastes different in a good way. Stuff cooks better and more evenly. I will NEVER go back.

We haven't owned any coated pans since 2004 or so. All we cook on is CI and our stainless cookware.

greetings:

I cure my cast iron pans, griddles, and dutch ovens in the oven using what ever oil i have on hand:peanut oil. grapeseed, olive, cocunut, crisco etc.

I place clean pan coated with oil upside down in the oven and bake for about an hour at 300 degrees.(foil underneath to catch drip)

Once coated/cured they will be easy to maintain, ie they will wash easy with warm water, very little soap IF ANY, and a paper towel.

The more soap and abrasive's you use, the quicker the oil coating will be washed away and a new coating required.

Dry well after washing, if coating has not been degraded i don't add any oil until my next coating/cure is needed. That is determined with the frequency of food sticking to the bottom.

I do use a table spoon or two of oil prior to cooking whatever it is i am cooking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How does everyone clean their cast iron after every use?

My wife washes them with soap. It's not recommended as it removes some of the seasoned surfaces but it's not a big deal.

Ours is pre-seasoned Lodge that I sanded down, smoothed the surfaces and seasoned myself.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think there is certainly a use for cast iron pans but I do not think there is any one type of pan construction that is good for all types of cooking...

Bingo. Different tools for different jobs. The devotion of some to cast iron at the expense of all other types strikes me as silly. More religious than logical.

We have a mix of carbon and stainless steel, anodized aluminum non-stick, and enameled stuff.

jeff

I picked up an 8" Griswold (the variant with the cross) on craigslsit for $10. Just does a great job with eggs, except for one preparation.. the french omelette. Still have a 10" tfal non stick for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back