I think my 05 Odyssey needs a transmission...

BITOG logic I sure funny. Had this been a domestic vehicle, OP would’ve been told to junk it right off the bat.

This is a 200k vehicle, no matter how it was maintained things will only get worse. That was 5k transmission will not be a new unit, it will be used or reman. Its reliability will be highly questionable. The quality of work will be highly questionable, since post covid prices have gone up, but the quality went down.

I would just keep driving until the transmission drops and then junk it. In the meantime save money and look for another vehicle.

It still lasted way longer than this CVT from an Accord:

At least ask your mechanic if he has any $10k vehicles for sale. (I’m assuming yours has a side business, like mine does.)
Doesn’t have to be a van. You can buy a bridge car to drive for a few years until the used car market adjusts down.
Well, since "my mechanic" is me, that's easy to establish. I outsourced the power door issue back in 2016 or so, but that's the last repair or maintenance item not done by me.

BITOG logic I sure funny. Had this been a domestic vehicle, OP would’ve been told to junk it right off the bat.

This is a 200k vehicle, no matter how it was maintained things will only get worse. That was 5k transmission will not be a new unit, it will be used or reman. Its reliability will be highly questionable. The quality of work will be highly questionable, since post covid prices have gone up, but the quality went down.

I would just keep driving until the transmission drops and then junk it. In the meantime save money and look for another vehicle.
BITOG logic sure is indeed funny when it espouses that a reman transmission with a 5 year warranty will automatically be "highly questionable" in reliability especially compared to the transmission in any other $5k vehicle.

@Hohn, imagine for a moment your van was written off in an accident. If someone offered you an essentially one-owner 200K Odyssey with a freshly rebuilt transmission and a known maintenance history, would you buy it for $5K? I would.
Oh, in a heartbeat!

I'm puzzled by the cost analysis paradigms some people choose to use.

What makes most sense to me, and seems obvious, is that you project cost of ownership for some fixed period if time into to the future. Let's say 3 years because 1) I'm sure the rest of the vehicle can go 3 years and 2) every reman transmission I'm considering has at least that long of a warranty.

If I buy a 30K vehicle, it will lose about $10k-15k in depreciation alone in 3 years. Somewhere between 33%-50% of the value will be lost. So I'm losing/spending $15k if there are ZERO repairs to be made.

Buying a $20K vehicle will drop my likely losses to to $8k or so from depreciation, but it's almost certain to need at least some repair in that time period. $20k vans in my area have 100k miles and are 8-10 years old.

Buy a $10k vehicle means in 3 years perhaps only losing $3k or so in depreciation. But it will certainly need repairs in that time period and the odds of getting 3 years from something for a total cost of $5k seem vanishlingly small.

My van has fresh brakes, fresh suspension and tires with 20k or more left in them. The tires might last 3 years even depending on how much we drive.

Depreciation cost on a 17year old van are basically zero. Especially when you consider this is a first year of that generation Odyssey and the collector value is rising by the year.:D

I am surprised you haven't had the transmission replaced earlier. I remember back in the day everyone was buying the 04-06 Honda's and transmissions were blowing up left right and center.
I don't know how valid this is, but many Honda AT failures have been attributed to the wrong ATF being used.

I don't know how valid this is, but many Honda AT failures have been attributed to the wrong ATF being used.
Thats why I stick to OEM Honda fluid...Its not like you are changing the fluid every 5000 miles...

These failed as new vehicles within the first 10k miles. This was a huge honda debacle back in the day and honda had a recall and class action law suit that forced them to keep replacing them for eternity free of charge. My late uncle at the time had 3 transmissions on the same odyssey.

Thats why I stick to OEM Honda fluid...Its not like you are changing the fluid every 5000 miles...
Well, you kind of are-- nearly so. The factory service schedule of trans fluid change is every 30k miles, but it consists of draining and refilling 3x each time. Basically once every 10k miles. At $12qt, that's some VERY expensive flushing liquid. Gotta say, no self-respecting engineer would approve a design where you can a fluid that needed periodic replacement but a drain would only extract 1/3rd of the fluid. This says "cost constraint" to me.

Anyway, I did my most recent service with Maxlife because it's less than half the cost and the OEM stuff isn't exactly magic. Lots of Honda failures in the 100k-150k miles range with nothing but OEM fluid.

I suspect these transmissions need 1) a cooler and 2) about double the capacity to really hold up.

Well, you kind of are-- nearly so. The factory service schedule of trans fluid change is every 30k miles, but it consists of draining and refilling 3x each time. Basically once every 10k miles. At $12qt, that's some VERY expensive flushing liquid. Gotta say, no self-respecting engineer would approve a design where you can a fluid that needed periodic replacement but a drain would only extract 1/3rd of the fluid. This says "cost constraint" to me.

Anyway, I did my most recent service with Maxlife because it's less than half the cost and the OEM stuff isn't exactly magic. Lots of Honda failures in the 100k-150k miles range with nothing but OEM fluid.

I suspect these transmissions need 1) a cooler and 2) about double the capacity to really hold up.
In all of my past and current hondas I change the fluid every 30000 miles one time not the 3x way and it has served me well. No tranny issues over the years and a few on them had over 350000 miles with one at 386000...

Back