I think my 05 Odyssey needs a transmission...

I've traced the awful clunk up the CV axles all the way to the "differential" or output section of the trans. There's a LOT of play in this area as I rotate the wheels back and forth and look for the opposite rotation on the other side of the van.

Changing the trans fluid showed a LOT of metallic ferrous dust adhering to the magnet on the plug. It was shaped like a Christmas tree instead of a cylinder.

My Van has 200k miles on it. A reputable reman is $3200 or so. The rest of the van is reasonably sound still, I'd expect it to go 3-5 more years.

The options are:
1) Replace with a reman, to a cost of about $5k all in
2) Buy a different 5K vehicle with that same money
3) Apply the 5k towards a different used vehicle likely to cost much more.

I don't option 2 makes any sense. Nothing you can get for $5k will be nicer than my existing van, plus it will have no history AND it will likely need a ton of work to boot.

Option 3 likewise seems a lot more expensive because the used market is just not going to offer up good deals on quality used vehicles like our van. 10K even and you'll likely get something sketchy, and if it's an Odyssey, it might need a transmission anyway in just a year or two.

So I'm thinking to go ahead and replace the trans even though it costs more than the book value of my van. The value of my van TO ME is much higher than book because nobody will sell me anything is nice or as trustworthy for anything like the same money.

Thoughts?

I bet it is the carrier bearings in the tranny that the axles go into....Since you have to drop it for that you might as well have it rebuilt or get a reman tranny...Have you seen any trans fluid seeping out around the axle seal that goes into the tranny????

I've traced the awful clunk up the CV axles all the way to the "differential" or output section of the trans. There's a LOT of play in this area as I rotate the wheels back and forth and look for the opposite rotation on the other side of the van.

Changing the trans fluid showed a LOT of metallic ferrous dust adhering to the magnet on the plug. It was shaped like a Christmas tree instead of a cylinder.

My Van has 200k miles on it. A reputable reman is $3200 or so. The rest of the van is reasonably sound still, I'd expect it to go 3-5 more years.

The options are:
1) Replace with a reman, to a cost of about $5k all in
2) Buy a different 5K vehicle with that same money
3) Apply the 5k towards a different used vehicle likely to cost much more.

I don't option 2 makes any sense. Nothing you can get for $5k will be nicer than my existing van, plus it will have no history AND it will likely need a ton of work to boot.

Option 3 likewise seems a lot more expensive because the used market is just not going to offer up good deals on quality used vehicles like our van. 10K even and you'll likely get something sketchy, and if it's an Odyssey, it might need a transmission anyway in just a year or two.

So I'm thinking to go ahead and replace the trans even though it costs more than the book value of my van. The value of my van TO ME is much higher than book because nobody will sell me anything is nice or as trustworthy for anything like the same money.

Thoughts?

For the amount you'd pay for a new trans that lasted you 200k miles, it would probably be better to repair what you have. You know the history of your vehicle, who knows what's out there in the over-priced used car market lately! At this point in the economy focusing on the book value probably doesn't really matter. What matters is the least amount of money you'd have to spend to get a reliable vehicle. I think getting a good quality reman transmission is your best bet.

Assuming the engine and rest of the vehicle is reasonably healthy, I think that's a good use of $5,000. Like you said, even if you only get another 3 years out of it, that's about $140 per month. If you get 5 more years out of it, it's only $84 per month. Plus you get to enjoy (likely) lower insurance premiums during this period compared to a more expensive vehicle.

The archilles heel of the beloved minivan.

Minivans are far and away the most practical vehicles on the road. Ground clearance and transmissions are the only issues, seemingly all of them(except the impossible to buy hybrid Sienna these days).

I had a '02 Ford Explorer that had the trans go bad in it. I scraped it instead of fixing it. That was a mistake. It would have been cheaper to fix it, then buy a new vehicle. It has 250k miles on it when it went, but ran like a clock. At least you know what the shape of your vehicle is. Buying another one , or spending 5k on one won't guaranty you won't have other issues.,,,

How many transmissions have you gone thru in 200k? :sneaky:

What condition is the rest of the car in? How much rust is there? :unsure:

If you did buy another car, how much would you want to add on top of that 5k? Would you buy another minivan? Can you afford a decent 4-cylinder Sienna or Transit Connect? If you don't like a 4-cylinder, even the Quest CVT has a better reputation than your Ody, and the price of a factory Nissan reman CVT is that same $3200 or even less :D

If you do keep the Ody, change the ATF every OCI!

You have a $3200 van,

van.jpg

that needs $5,000 in repairs. Dump it now. If it still drives, list on Facebook for $2000 and mention the CV axles clunking. Take the first offer over $800. Then buy something in good shape for $5,000.

You have a $3200 van,

View attachment 184403
that needs $5,000 in repairs. Dump it now. If it still drives, list on Facebook for $2000 and mention the CV axles clunking. Take the first offer over $800. Then buy something in good shape for $5,000.

Oh the irony! This coming from the guy that buys old high mileage cars and sinks a ton of money into them...

You have a $3200 van,

View attachment 184403

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...om/marketplace/item/677850590976523/?[/QUOTE]
If you know it needs a tranny you advertise it as such. You don't screw the next guy.

Having owned a Gen 2 Odyssey, I am a fan of their early years. I have nothing at all to complain about though ours did have a couple of weak points, but the vehicle itself was so good that overall I’ve got nothing but praise. Therefore, I’m in the “fix it” camp. That said, $5k is a lot of cake. Have you shopped this around? Rebuild shop verses reman? Or a shop willing to swap in a used unit for less cost (understanding that the unit may have a short warranty but the labor would have to be paid again?). I might also send the record of the repair to the insurance company so they see the recent investment.

Replace or rebuild the transmission.

Are there any local transmission rebuild shops in your area? Last year I had my dad's Mercury Sable's transmission rebuilt at a local transmission shop for like $2,800.

It's a 200k mile van. OP spends $5,000 on the transmission now, and 6 months later is posting about, engine knocking in my van, shop wants $5,000 to rebuild or replace.
And the transmission I had rebuilt for my dad was in a 2001 Mercury with 207k miles. So what? It's reliable transportation. He could spend $5k on another beater that blows another transmission. Then what?

Life is full of risks, not everyone has a crystal ball to tell the future or is loaded with money. My dads put over 20k miles on it so far and knock on wood, it's doing just fine. He can't afford another car.

Back