I never changed the oil in my Honda lawn mower in 11 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: racer12306
So one acre a use (3 hours a use maybe?), time 4-6 times a month, times 6-7 months per year, times 11 years.

3*4*6*11 = 792hours and it's stick kicking on topped up oil only.

Not too shabby.

some old timers do it in cars. never replace oil to produce plugged up oil rings and then when oil consumption develops, the oil topping effectively produces gradual oil change.

is this optimal? you tell me.

If you are going to get Mobil 1, spring for the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30 since it has extra ZDDP. Although anything would be doing it a favor.

What kind on consumption does the engine have?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you are going to get Mobil 1, spring for the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30 since it has extra ZDDP. Although anything would be doing it a favor.

Seriously?? Valve springs in OPE are so light pressure it makes no difference... The GCV engines like mine have a PLASTIC cam...

I changed oil with M1 0W-40 in my '04 Honda engine when I got it in '11, so far hasn't used enough to add(yes there is close to four years on the oil)... Very used and abused when I got it from a buddy who curb picked it, I doubt oil had ever been changed, was very dark... Current oil is just now getting dark enough to read on the dipstick...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Rinse in dish soap, then clean water and re-soak it in 30 weight oil?

Foam gets cleaned and oiled. You don't oil a paper filter or clean it in water.

BITOG nit' pickin.

He did say 20+ year old mower no? Usually those are foam.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Oh for Pete sake. This thread is 11 years old.

Why do you people think I said 22year old mower?

Why is it such a taboo to post in an older thread?

Because it was a dumb question that didn't have anything to add to the original thread.

I see no problem with bumping an old thread. Many times newer members will chime in and different views will be given than were originally presented in the thread.

Does it hurt anything? No
Does it upset some people? Yes
Any reason not to do it? No

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Seriously?? Valve springs in OPE are so light pressure it makes no difference... The GCV engines like mine have a PLASTIC cam...

I changed oil with M1 0W-40 in my '04 Honda engine when I got it in '11, so far hasn't used enough to add(yes there is close to four years on the oil)... Very used and abused when I got it from a buddy who curb picked it, I doubt oil had ever been changed, was very dark... Current oil is just now getting dark enough to read on the dipstick...

It's not about the valve Springs it's about cylinder wear and extra ZDDP is a good thing for air cooled engines.

I used to change my mower oil once a year, like you said its 12 ounces. It would be as Gold as it was going in. Kinda crazy, just like leaving it in for 11 years. Kinda crazy.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
after reading threads in this forum, i'm not sure we know what oils are good for those engines and even if it matters at all.

Might not make that much of a difference, but it's hard to go wrong with a HDEO in an air cooled engine.

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
after reading threads in this forum, i'm not sure we know what oils are good for those engines and even if it matters at all.

Might not make that much of a difference, but it's hard to go wrong with a HDEO in an air cooled engine.

i read on the air cooled VW forums that the moderns (post 2010 IIRC) HDEOs increased temps and are not recommended anymore. 20W50 castrol GTX is supposedly the best oil now.

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care

i read on the air cooled VW forums that the moderns (post 2010 IIRC) HDEOs increased temps and are not recommended anymore. 20W50 castrol GTX is supposedly the best oil now.

HDEO's increase temps, but a 20w50 is recommended? Intersting.

I have been wanting to get an infrared thermometer gun. It would be fun/ interesting to play around with various oils in an air cooled engine.

HDEO's increase temps, but a 20w50 is recommended? Intersting.

I have been wanting to get an infrared thermometer gun. It would be fun/ interesting to play around with various oils in an air cooled engine.

I'll bet $10 you can't find a two degree temp difference in any brand whether it be 0W-20 or 20W-50... I'll keep using M1 0W-40 in mine and maybe even start changing it every couple years...

i changed the oil again, it was gray again! the initial oil analysis results were in and they said that i need to do a few successive oil changes as one isn't enough since my oil was so dirty
this time, i did it when the engine was hot. i mowed half the lawn (the backyard) and then the oil just poured out so fast, whereas the first time, i did it when it was cool (mistake) so the new oil i put in turned gray again! what about overfilling? i think i overfilled, what's the oil capacity for a briggs and stratton toro 22" recycler? thanks.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i changed the oil again, it was gray again! the initial oil analysis results were in and they said that i need to do a few successive oil changes as one isn't enough since my oil was so dirty
this time, i did it when the engine was hot. i mowed half the lawn (the backyard) and then the oil just poured out so fast, whereas the first time, i did it when it was cool (mistake) so the new oil i put in turned gray again! what about overfilling? i think i overfilled, what's the oil capacity for a briggs and stratton toro 22" recycler? thanks.

Again?

Again as in, in this thread you've never changed the oil, nobody's going to hunt down what other thread (if any) you did change the oil in, and also AGAIN, if you want any traction getting answers to your many questions, start your own threads and stop starting new discussions In Medias Res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back