I need some opinions on a lawn tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this tractor talk has me thinking about the one I grew up riding:

Massey-Ferguson-Garden-Tractor.jpg

Looked just like this, but with a side-vent muffler. Also had the "tractor" tires.

AFAIK, the old bugger is still running, went with the property and the 9N.

Was a great little tractor too. Had bull-low 1st gear, and would tow just about anything.

Ours had the 12HP Tecumseh engine, not the 10HP like shown in the picture.

The 1960s and 1970s was the heyday of the garden tractor. They were built like tanks back then. The last garden tractor of that caliber was the Wheel Horse.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
The 1960s and 1970s was the heyday of the garden tractor. They were built like tanks back then. The last garden tractor of that caliber was the Wheel Horse.

Fully agree!! I keep a constant eye open for one of those.

The Poulan is fine if you're (just a little) mechanically inclined and don't drive it like you stole it. People who use yard tractors like they do rental cars need to get a Deere of something comparable. I just bought a Poulan 42" with 17.5 HP Briggs the other day to replace my Craftsman rider. I paid $899.00 at the Base Exchange. It is exactly (exactly except for extra EPA stuff) the same mower as the five-year-old Craftsman, but in a different color. It has the mechanical/belt drive so I don't have to replace everything 8 or 9 years from now. I like simple best. My Summer's resolution is to not mow 6 people's yards each week this year as the Craftsman did for five years.

If you're easy on your equipment and maintain it correctly, the only difference between my Poulan and a higher end mower is the cut quality. My Poulan makes tall grass into short grass and I could care less what it looks like afterwards as long as it keeps the city from leaving me love notes. It sometimes leaves streaks and uneven spots.

Oh, and I got my deck wheel kit from Amazon.com for about 33 bucks (free shipping). Got here in 4 days.

I bought a Sears about 8 years ago. Good value for the money, but the Briggs OHV motor has a design flaw that eats head gaskets. I've done it twice so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back