I need a screwdriver recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Phillips round off? How comfortable are they?
I was looking at the ones with the yellow and black big grip and putting a complete set in the house instead of the oddballs from the garage that i don't use anymore.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Do the Phillips round off? How comfortable are they?
I was looking at the ones with the yellow and black big grip and putting a complete set in the house instead of the oddballs from the garage that i don't use anymore.
You're asking about PR, right? They have (or used to have) different grades of tip. In Phillips, I have one economy driver and one premium driver. The economy one has rounded off but (as one would expect) the premium tip has stayed pretty sharp. For comparison, I have some Western Forge "Craftsman professional" drivers that seem to have held up better, but they cost a lot more. It looks like the set you linked to on Amazon is the premium set.

Interestingly, the PR slotted screwdrivers are the toughest ones I've ever encountered. Mine still have perfect edges despite many inappropriate uses. The only one I managed to damage was by melting it by accidentally going to work on a live (incorrectly labeled) AC circuit. I reground it and it's held up for eight more years.

As for comfort, most of mine have the rubber grip over a plastic handle (like Klein), and I like them. My PR Pozidriv has a four-fluted hard plastic handle without a grip, and it's not so great. The ones in the Amazon link are yet another design, so I can't speculate.

If you really need "japanese philips' google for 'JIS drivers', 'Phillips and Frearson' (aka Reed & Prince) and take your time - there is a lot of confusing info, but you will sort it out eventually.
Tracking down a set of screwdrivers to properly fit JIS Crosspoint screws is a wise investment of time and money, and will probably change your opinion about "Japanese Phillips" screws.
Europeans have their own DIN/ISO Cross-point screw heads that conventional Phillips drivers do fit, but the European equipment makers seem especially fond of Pozi-Drive screws, which is another cross-point tip that the Phillips drivers don't fit. The Pozi-Drive screws need a Pozi-Drive driver, which are made by both US and European screwdriver makers. Again, a set of Pozi-Drive screwdrivers is well worth the investment. I read somewhere that was a GM design.
Last I heard Pratt belongs to Ideal Group, and there is always a chance they may consolidate production. There were some good quality Pratt drivers made in Slovakia, used to be sold in True Value stores.
For fancy top quality W European imports search for Swiss P B Baumann, German Felo, Ceka, Wera, Wiha, Witte, Stahlwille and the French-made Facom. (Facom used to own SK, sold it, then sold itself to Stanley). They are not the same quality tier, e.g. Stahlwille will outlive Wiha several times, etc.
Xcelite and Crescent are the Coooper group products and in my experience not as durable as good old Klein or Snap-on. Craftsman of late has been a disappointment, even their Pro line looks half-cooked.
Swedish Bahco is excellent.
If you can find 50 year old Bridgeport..get some vodka and orange juice to celebrate.

i've never looked that those exotic brands, i picked up a set of craftsman professional a few months ago for around $25 bucks and more then happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back