I Hang On To My Tools.

I hate it when I lose tools and do my best to avoid it. Most of the tools I have, I have had for decades.
Last Sunday I was working on a truck belonging to a moving company and when I got home and was putting away my tools. I noticed my beloved little utility knife, which I have had for close to forty years, was missing
Early Monday morning I went to the yard where the trucks are parked, about 3 miles from my house. Wanted to retrieve the knife before the trucks left for the day. Got it, it was pretty much where I expected it to be.
It is an inexpensive little knife, not worth much to anybody, but I still did not want to lose it.

Utility Knife.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate losing tools for the same reasons as you. Also, my job requires all tools accounted for after you're done.
Another reason; just last week, after working a job with several other people, a 6" 1/4" drive extension and a 5/16" flex socket of mine was missing. After looking for them for an hour or so, they turned up in another guy's tool kit. Glad I got them back. The one socket (Snap On High Performance) now goes for about $105, the extension $27.

Last edited:
I totally get it. There are a lot of tools that I have that, while they may be some of the more inexpensive tools in my toolbox, I just like them. They work well. There is something about them, that I become quite attached to them. I have a 2" Hyde putty knife that hasn't been used as a putty knife for at least 30+ years, but instead is a pretty good scraper. It is no longer shiny. The Hyde branding on the handle has been gone for a long time. The corners are rounded to the point that it is ideal for cleaning the corner in my cast iron dutch ovens.

There has been a few occasions when I go into panic mode when I have needed it, and realize I didn't put it away where it goes, the last time I used it.

My new favorite utility knife is the Milwaukee Fastback. I have 2 of them. But I also still have the original Stanley retractable utility knife that has been in my toolbox for probably over 40 years. As much as I enjoy the features of the Fastback, sometimes, I still pull out the Stanley. I would feel guilty to ever let it go. It has been a trustworthy too for all these years.

I also hate losing tools but the busier I get I try to weigh the cost of searching for an undetermined amount of time vs just ordering a replacement. Obviously things that are a few bucks are different than a Dual 80 ratchet or similar.

I won't waste too much time looking for tools which can be inexpensively replaced.

There is another factor to consider though. When you spend time looking for misplaced tools, you are actually punishing yourself and hopefully learning a lesson. It makes you more careful not to misplace tools the next time.

I started buying tools back in the 70s and have 95% of all the tools I’ve ever purchased and used. The older the tool the more value it has for me. My first craftsman 3/8 ratchet (47 yrs old) is my go to for most things. Very well oiled and worn-in. And it’s paid for.

I think we have all lost tools before. It sucks but it does happen. One time my dad had his semi truck worked on by a local shop. About 20 minutes after we left a young man called us who had worked on the truck. He left his grandfathers multi meter on top of the engine and wanted it back. We happily returned it to him. I’ve got some sentimental tools too and i would have hated not to return it. At work we have had customers bring back tools at times too. One person had a socket fall in their driveway and thought it was a car part haha. I’ve never been lucky enough to have a customer being back my tools. I left my favorite screwdriver in someone’s passenger floorboard by accident and they were out of state and we called to ask about it and they thought I left it in there for the license plate they gave me. I hated to lose it but didn’t want them to go thru the hassle of shipping it and they didn’t really understand us as they didn’t have good English. I just ended up getting another one the exact same but still not the same if you get what I’m saying.

I once decided to give away (as a Dirty Santa gift) a new-in-box set of impact sockets that had been sitting in my toolbox unused for years. As soon as I put them in the pile of gifts I hated myself for it. Luckily I used the rules of Dirty Santa to get them back at the end of the game. I felt like I'd won the lottery....for what probably amounted to a <$20 set of sockets.

Fortunately all my tools are used for DIY so they never really leave the property. However, I sometimes can't find things after the wife/kids borrow them. But a quick trip to the local Lowes/HD/Ace solves that problem...then I have two copies of the tool(s) and can usually find one when i need it! :)

Worked on a Paper Machine (similar to the image) in the 70's. Made a 30' wide sheet of newspaper at 35 mph, massive machine. We changed these felt belts every 2 weeks that pulled the paper (or visa versa-it's been a while) from a 3'dia solid granite roll$$$. We were done and maint noticed a crowbar missing. Mgt gave em 10 minutes to find it. Figured it fell somewhere in a pit below that was full of pulp or somewhere. We started slow rolling the machine and as it slowly got up to around 10-20% there was a loud bang, and tons of eqpt just STOPPED! It was amazing. Shook the whole floor. A replacement roll 32' long had to flown in from overseas. The good news is the crowbar was found!

Attachments

• Paper Machinery.jpg
    Paper Machinery.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 20
One big way guys loose tools is when you have sons. They borrow you tools to work on their bicycle then then car and then when they move out they come back and borrow your tools taking them to their apt or house.

Of course one solution is to have daughters rather than sons.

No real solution if you have sons. We all used our Dad's tools when we were young, lost some and misplaced others.

One big way guys loose tools is when you have sons. They borrow you tools to work on their bicycle then then car and then when they move out they come back and borrow your tools taking them to their apt or house.

No real solution if you have sons. We all used our Dad's tools when we were young, lost some and misplaced others.
My daughter (who lives out of the house) borrows tools, too.

Thats why tools make great gifts

Most of the tools I lose are from when I organize and find “ better” spots to put them. Then a month later I can’t find it lol.

I still have the very first Snap On tool I ever purchased. One of those little spring loaded pocket screw starters. I also have a Snap On torque wrench that I bought when I was 18 or 19 that still has a reversible head on it even though it only torques in one direction. The new ones are one way only. No selector.

Back