i goofed and used wrong rotation pattern. now what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
THEE most important thing about tire rotation is the front to rear part. Any crossing is a minor thing.

So don't worry about it.

Some members think of me as our resident tire Guru. But, I think of CapriRacer as our BITOG resident tire Guru!

smile.gif

CB

THEE most important thing about tire rotation is the front to rear part. Any crossing is a minor thing.

So don't worry about it.

This is what I've always thought and always done.
It's also really easy to jack up both ends on a side and swap the tires front to back.
I'm not about to go to the trouble of cross-rotating tires.
Good to here from an industry pro that this common sense approach is the correct one.

Someday soon you will be sucked up in an invisible vortex where you will be transported in a heads down orientation for what seems like an eternity, but it will actually only be about 10 days. At the end you will land in a giant bowl of tomato soup (Campbell's, not the cheap store brand) where you will come face to face with "The Creator". That's right, you will be in the presence of BOB and you will need to atone for your incorrect tire rotation pattern transgressions lickity split or be banned from this forum for 3 hours.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

So don't worry about it.

This is what I've always thought and always done.
It's also really easy to jack up both ends on a side and swap the tires front to back.
I'm not about to go to the trouble of cross-rotating tires.
Good to here from an industry pro that this common sense approach is the correct one.

actually, i used to do that too, especially remembering the old radial tire rule. but then internet happened and tirerack told me i was doing that all incorrectly, LOL.

but to be fair, i do remember 2 sets of tires that became very noisy because of the lack of cross rotations. one was a set of directional tires (Traction T/A), so i couldn't cross them over, and another was a set of used cheap General tires that came with an used car and were probably never rotated in the fist place.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
good to hear from the pro, thanks.....

My pleasure

Quote:
...... a follow up question for you. when i was much younger, the car manuals said not to switch radials from side to side, and do front to rear only, just like directional tires. now, it's OK to do it. what changed?

In the early days of steel belts, there was an adhesion issue between the steel belt and the rubber (Ah ..... Mmmmmm ...... OK, it was between the brass or bronze plating on the wires and the rubber.) and a small separation would appear on one side of the steel wire. The idea was to prevent the separation from completely detaching from the rubber matrix. This never made sense to me as I think both acceleration forces AND braking forces would be more important - and those are in opposite directions.

What changed? Rubber chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back