I don't miss having a fireplace

We live in a neighborhood where everyone has a fireplace (and central natural gas heat). With temperatures getting colder it seems everybody is burning something. I can barely stand to go outside at night because the smoke is so thick. I've thought about moving just so we can breath a little easier.

I had a wood burning fireplace in my previous home and liked the idea of having it but only used it a few times. I since had a custom home built without a fireplace and don't miss having one at all. I think fireplaces in the majority of U.S. homes are for show.
The only time I ever used mine was during the snowpocalypse of February 2021 in Central Texas. Lit up the gas every time the power went out. It could burn wood, but I never did in 4 years. Sold the house in April 2022, now our new house we bought in December 22 doesn't have one. I don't miss it.

A regular old fireplace -beautiful but usually net negative heat wise.

An efficient wood stove - whole different thing.

You can really cut your utility bill with something like a Blaze King.

Had a gas fireplace in our last home and hated it. When building the house we are in now we purposely got a beautiful brick and stone wood burning fireplace. Don't use it much but when we do it is just very nice but the main reason is the safety of backup heat! We actually had the need in 2021 with the famous Texas freeze that knocked out power - this was our main source of heat when power was out and also allowed my generator to run more things instead of most power going to HVAC use. So....with the way our country is going...I will gladly keep a wood burning fireplace because it has and probably will be needed!

The problem with a fireplace in a space heated home is, when you use it, it draws warmed air from inside your house and sends it up the stack. So, the fire may look nice, but I think it actually makes the house cooler in winter weather.

You could close the glass door in front, but a fire is no fun with glass in front of it.

Yeah, although I see mostly stand alone woodstoves used for actual heat, although my buddy put in a wood burning insert into a stone fireplace in his new place. He just wanted a power free backup heating system.

If we had natural gas going by our place, we would use that for sure, but we don't, and propane is a bit expensive, so a burning wood is what we do mostly. It's finally cold enough to run the woodstove 24/7, so it took me 30 seconds to stir coals, add 3 sticks of wood, and then set the damper as I left the house this morning... Not much of a hassle really.
I relight my coals with a heat gun now. Cheaper than a match. Opens the flue in seconds.

I have a ductless that I run above 40 degrees because it's AWESOME. But I burn wood on cold days because I love the feel of a real radiant heat.

I have never used a fireplace in any house I've owned. Sometimes I had a problem with the door and had one heck of a time getting it back in place. We'd occasionally have fires at my parent's place but would just use Duraflame or something similar. The previous owner of my current home did leave some pressed logs in the garage, but I'm not going to use them.

I do remember using a stove for heat in a cabin in Yellowstone National Park. The stove was the only heat source. I even asked for extra pressed wood disks thinking what they gave wouldn't last. By morning they were all gone and the interior smelled like smoke. And it was still cold all night.

There's decent radiant heat if you're near the fireplace, but many are correct that it tends to suck heat out the room through the chimney.

Wood stoves are a better source of heat since they have a somewhat closed system and don't rely on room air to feed oxygen to the fire. However, my experiences with them included smoke seeping out of the wood box.

I been living in my current house for 9 years and have not used the fireplace once. The prior owner put a Duraflame log in there and it’s still in there. I hate cleaning fireplaces.

Had a gas fireplace in our last home and hated it. When building the house we are in now we purposely got a beautiful brick and stone wood burning fireplace. Don't use it much but when we do it is just very nice but the main reason is the safety of backup heat! We actually had the need in 2021 with the famous Texas freeze that knocked out power - this was our main source of heat when power was out and also allowed my generator to run more things instead of most power going to HVAC use. So....with the way our country is going...I will gladly keep a wood burning fireplace because it has and probably will be needed!
^this

They belong to a log cabin, that's about it for me. If you don't use them regularly and suddenly use it, they gather dusts and they smell for a while. If you use them regularly then you need to clean the chimney, a waste of money to me.

Unless you live somewhere with free firewood I don't really see the point.
The steel body - brick lined unit that I put in my camp puts out far more heat than a common unit with an open face …
(replaced a wood stove and used the stove pipe) …
With a large Pyrex door - you still get to enjoy the charm without smoke and sparks. Also found with upper/lower dampeners - could fine tune the burn into longer LCI’s 😎
Has fan forced heat but did not really need it …

At home we have a gas unit inside* - fire pit outside for fun …
*mainly back up source …

IMG_1815.png

Last edited:
They had great novelty as a kid/pyro, but that has worn off, and as I've gotten older, I've become more sensitive to smoke/odors as annoyances.

Except when I want to grill something, or eat BBQ, but that's someone else's responsibility to bear much of the time.

That said, I'm still open to starting a fire at a vacation rental, or camp, but not as a regular feature at home.

A regular old fireplace -beautiful but usually net negative heat wise.

An efficient wood stove - whole different thing.

You can really cut your utility bill with something like a Blaze King.
We bought a BK Ashford 30 last January. It was definitely a little hard to get used to, but it won’t heat you out of the house and has very long run times.

The pug approves.
IMG_6837.jpeg

Through the years I've owned homes both with and without a fireplace. Given the choice I would rather have one. They appeal to others even if they don't to you. So if and when you sell it, it very well could help, by giving the home added appeal to potential buyers.

Besides, if you don't want one, and end up buying a house with one, just keep the flue closed and don't use it. Nothing lost, but again, it might help with a future sale.

It's not like a swimming pool, that you have to maintain by constantly cleaning and adding chemicals, regardless if you use it or not. I grew tired of our pool in the last house we had. It became too much work and expense for the amount we used it....... Which was almost never.

But our realtor told us the people who bought it absolutely loved the pool. And for them it was a deal maker. So in that regard, it was worth it. Pools are like boats. The 2 greatest days are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.

Had one in my old house before I met my wife and it never got used. Not once. When we purchased a home together it was a must for her. Ours is used every fall and winter. Her favorite chair is the one by the fireplace. It’s finally getting cold here so it’s about that time for Duraflame to get a crap ton of my money. I know real wood is better but I’m lazy

I have an older home that we purchased in 2019. We have a fireplace in the living room but I have never used it. This was purchased at an auction. There were still ashes in the fireplace so I’m sure it was used in the past. I would want to have the chimney cleaned and inspected before I would use it.. If I ever used it it would be for ornamental use not heat.

I have gas direct vent fireplaces in the house and a wood burner on a covered patio. We use the wood own for s’mores for the kids and may turn on the gas ones a few times a winter. They make the house too hot since we have central heat but are nice in a real cold day for a bit. I like having them as backup heat in the event of a power outage.

Why not another opinion? There's no beating the ambiance of a fire, whether indoors or outdoors.

I'm in the camp that heated our first home in the Upper Peninsula with wood out of necessity, so I have had my lifetime fill of wood gathering, splitting, stacking, moving, ashes, chimney maintenance, and other fire maintenance duties (mostly healthy endeavors, both physically and mentally). Like DIY wrenching, a self sufficient lifestyle can be satisfying.

I now equate (inefficient style) fireplace ownership with boats, horses, and backyard swimming pools. I respect those that are passionate about these things. It's a lifestyle choice, but with old age comes a bit of well earned laziness.

Back